Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Re: GZG Email? & Re: Canon - What makes something Canon? Next: Re: Canon

RE: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

From: "bbell1@i..." <bbell1@insight.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 07:37:14 -0400
Subject: RE: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

1. what do you lot like about some existing miniatures pages?
- Indexes. Very useful for finding something that you
  know you want to get again.
- Categories. If you are just browsing or new to the
  manufacturer, being able to zero-in on the genre you
  want is nice.
- Pictures. A MUST! Some on the list prefer painted,
  some prefer unpainted. Both would be the best. But
  if I have to make a choice, I prefer painted but
  with no "extras" that are not included with the
  miniature. That is if the sniper does not come with
  Ghille <sp> netting, don't show it with it.
- Scale (25mm, 15mm, 6mm, 1/300th, 1/2000th etc.)
- Prices. Duh.
- An idea of shipping cost.
- Currency conversion. This is nice when dealing
  across borderrs.
- What's New section. Frequent visitors can find the
  new stuff without searching the whole site.
- List of conventions that they will attend.
- Physical address of the manufacturer (at least
  Country and State/Provance/Region). So that you can
  estimate shipping time.

2. what do you hate?
- No pictures. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH! A description does NOT
  cut it.
- No contact E-mail address.
- Only one way to order (mail, fax, online, etc.).

3. what should it contain?
- Pictures. (Getting the idea?)
- All the miniature line.
- Contact info.
- Ordering info.
- A list of Restrictions [preferably none] (i.e. US
  orders only. Visa/MC only).
- Multiple ways to order (online, e-mail, fax, phone,
  postal mail).
- See response to question #1.

4. what features would you like to see?
- Pictures. (OK, I'll stop now)
- Site Map. Sometimes things get obscured on an index.
- Search. This would be a GREAT feature.
- Out of Production miniatures. If a company offered
  a miniature, but no longer does, it would be nice
  to keep a list/gallery of these. Sometimes a person
  is searching for an old mini and it would be helpful
  to know that it is out of print, who made it, and
  the old stock number.

---
Brian Bell
bbell1@insight.rr.com