Prev: [SG2] - Ainsty Terrain For Sale Next: [FT] Real Shields (or better armor)

Re: Maritime Strike Bombers

From: "Adam Benedict Canning" <dahak@d...>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 16:23:45 +0100
Subject: Re: Maritime Strike Bombers

> Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 18:26:38 -0400
> From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@sympatico.ca>
>
> It occurrs to me that we have all forgotten
> something very important about
> Maritime Strike Bombers.  While thinking of ships
> and fighters, we have overlooked
> the fact that a fully loaded B-52 is just as
> massive as an Osa-II patrol missile
> boat (at least I think an Osa-II is only 250
> tonnes in displacement).
>
> In this light, it is not unreasonable for a
> maritime strike bomber to have a mass
> 4 or 5.

Then they are big enough to be built as real ships using the
ship construction rules.

Otherwise one gets the SFB syndrome where the Hydrans would
be best off replacing the weapons on their weapon mounts
with welded on Fighters attached to the ships power grid.

Teh fighter rules are an approximation to allow such things
to exist without excessively complicating the ship
construction rules. Not an example of a functional
alternative technology.

Adam

Prev: [SG2] - Ainsty Terrain For Sale Next: [FT] Real Shields (or better armor)