Prev: Re: GZG Email? Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Re: GZG Email?

FT-Deployed SMR Missile pods

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 21:01:22 +0100
Subject: FT-Deployed SMR Missile pods

I was just reading through my collection of HH novels this weekend, and
had
a idea from the Honor Harrington class SD(P). This would be a bit
unballancing (I think), but does deserve discussion (I think).

Deployable SMR pods
Deployed from a launch bay astern of the ship, with more pods carried as
cargo in cargo bays aboard the ship. Each cargo bay can be connected to
one
launch bay, as per SML`s, and deploy one pod per turn. These pods can be
towed by any ship within 3 MU, and fired by said ship by allocating a
Firecon per pod for targeting purposes (meaning a ship can only fire as
many
pods as it has firecons). Each pods can fire in a 360 deg arc, and is
used
as per normal SMR rules. Each pods masses 4 mass, and reduces the ships
acceleration by a certain amount. Assume each ships drive has a power
output
of it`s mass times it`s thrust rating (for example, a mass 40 DD with a
thrust of 6 has a power of 240), then divide the power rating of it`s
drive
by the ships mass plus the mass of the towed pods times 2, to represent
the
inefficency of towing the pods outside of the drive field etc (said DD
towing 2 pods would be 40 plus 16=56. The drive power of 240 divided by
16
equals a thrust of 4.2, rounded off to a thrust of 4). The SMR is towed
3 MU
behind the ship, and is fired from this position of 3 MU forthere than
the
ships weapons, and can be towed closer, but the towing ship cannot use
it`s
drive (but can rotate) without the ships drive frying the pods (the pods
are
fragile and without any rad sheilding). This also means the ship cannot
fire
through it`s rear arc without it frying the towed pods. Also, because of
their fragility, any weapons fire can be directed at them, and will
destroy
the pods on a roll of 3 to 6. The launcher masses 50% more than the SMR
(as
per normal launching bays) and carrys one pod feady for immidiate
deployment
per launching bay, and the cargo bays holding the SMR`s to be launched
mass
the number of SMR pods carried (ie-no penalty in mass for carring the
extra
pods). The cargo bays would be marked off on the SSD and be
destroyed/disabled as normal dammage rolls.

I`m sure theres something I`ve forgotten, but I`ll remember when someone
points it out <G>.

BIF

"Yorkshire born, yorkshire bred,
strong in arms, thick in head"

Prev: Re: GZG Email? Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Re: GZG Email?