Prev: RE: Maritime Strike Bombers Next: Re: Sensors

Re: Sensors

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 20:33:01 +0100
Subject: Re: Sensors

In message <ML-3.4.991398730.6838.books@babinga.dms.state.fl.us>
	  Roger Books <books@mail.state.fl.us> wrote:

> OK, I'm going to do my standard "Sensors as they affect game play".
>
> If you are going to have sensors that only work insystem and give
> you full info at greater than 36" you might as well not even
> bother.
>
> Why?
>
> Campaign:  I jump insystem.  We play all kinds of nifty sensor
> games.  We get outside weapons range, realize one force is
> superior, the inferior force jumps out.
>
> Non-campaign: Obvious, there is no point.
>
> Net result in both cases: No affect from the sensors, I might
> as well have twiddled my thumbs.
>
> Roger

Well, I did have the idea for the 'really simple sensors system' -
designed largely for pick-up and tormanent games:

Player with relatively superior sensor assets can set up after everyone
else (all players must still set up in their designated areas, however).

ECM equipped ships don't need to be set up until the players with
superior sensors does, however.

Slightly more complexity: most tormanents I've played in have a maximum
starting velocity - allow player with superior sensor assets 1 free turn
of main drive burn if desired (warning - this could be worth a lot - and
will make costing sensors difficult).

No idea if it is balanced - or even worth the bother :-)

Charles
--

Prev: RE: Maritime Strike Bombers Next: Re: Sensors