Prev: Re: [FT] Proposal - Weapons Design System Concept Next: RE: Maritime Strike Bombers

Re: [FT] Are Submunitions Packs overpriced?

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 20:17:00 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Are Submunitions Packs overpriced?

In message <000a01c0ea92$351a1340$b9169fd4@kitsune>
	  "Adam Benedict Canning" <dahak@dahak.free-online.co.uk> wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 10:31:42 +1000
> > From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au>
> >
> > G'day Charles,
> >
> >  >So, what are peoples experiences of using SMPs?
> >
> > They're nice to put on really little guys for
> > some up close and personal punch.
>
> I find that scout ships carrying them are good for
> attracting Charles attention away from the heavy ships with
> the conventional weapons.
>
> IIRC the Rat did try a fast SMP armed Battleship [HMS
> Dictator] but it was very much an all or nothing experience,
> with emphasis on the nothing. The all Pulse torpedo ship did
> better.

I remember the Pulse-Torp dreadnought (to ba accurate, the
_Asymmetrical_
Pulse Torp Dreadnought :-) but not the SMP one.

> If SMP's were cheaper they would probably become the weapon
> of decision at close range. What Charles misses from his
> analysis is that for the small ship types multi turn
> firepower is less valuable since they burn like butterflies
> in a flame.

Ok, I'm now convinced that they are priced ok.

> Of course Charles has accused me of considering scoutships
> to be little more than antimissile decoys for my capital
> ships.
>
> Adam

Well, from the point of view of the poor crewmen :-)

OTOH you've seen my multi-role autonomous sensor drone/banzai jammer
design.

Charles
--

Prev: Re: [FT] Proposal - Weapons Design System Concept Next: RE: Maritime Strike Bombers