Prev: Re: [OT] USN and USAF sharing the same crack pipe Next: Re: Maritime Strike Bombers

Re: Maritime Strike Bombers

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 19:46:11 +0100
Subject: Re: Maritime Strike Bombers

In message <v04210105b73c094f6ebc@[192.168.1.11]>
	  Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com> wrote:

> >On 30-May-01 at 18:24, Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com) wrote:
> >
> > > 2 SMs/ Bomber that makes 12 from a full strength group. Two dice
> > > worth. Range from launch is 24" (changing numbers too much add
> > > confusion...)
> > >
> > > 1MT Missile per bomber giving you 6 of them per group. These MT
> > > missiles have a two turn life span of up to 18" movement.
> >
> >The problem with these is when does launch occur in your sequence?
> >It appears to occur after ship movement.  That means a gauranteed
> >on target for your strike.  That makes it far superior to a
>
> Intention is for these to launch during the Ordinance phase. Though
> perhaps launching them during fighter movement would give the
> receiving enders to shuffle fighters to intercept the missiles if
> they weren't in a position to get the bombers.
>
> --
> - Ryan Montieth Gill		  DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
> - ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com  I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
> - rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com	       www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
> - '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -

One possibility is to extend the whole concept, tying in the concepts of
'small craft' and 'gunboats' that have been mentioned on the list from
time to time.

'Small Craft' are small, non-ftl craft of Mass 2 or 3, they typically
move as fighters, and use fighter-scale weapons.

In general, they can be faster, longer ranged, harder to kill, and/or
carry a heavier weapons load than normal fighters, however, they tend to
fare badly against fighters in combat.

I don't have any hard and fast numbers just yet but I'd say something
like:

Basic Small Craft
Primary Move = 12mu
Secondary Move = 12mu
Has 3 CEF
Vs. fighters as Attack Fighter
Attacked as fighter, attackers get +1 to rolls
No attacks vs. ships
Cargo capacity: 1 (MASS 2 hull) or 2 (MASS 3 hull)
This is a basic shuttlecraft-type design - with minimal defensive
armament
Worth next to nothing NPV-wise (if it can be used as a BJ, then the cost
would rise).

Ok, not a lot if use - but various systems could be added - faster
engines, more fuel capacity, bigger weapons, etc.

One option would be an extension to Jared Nobles fighter design system -
see:
http://www.alaska.net/~jnoble/FT/
for details - this is something I'm going to have to work on at a later
date.

For the Strike Bombers:- Well, I personally consider the munition of a
torpedo fighter to be a single salvo missile warhead with only the
terminal burn motor attached. PDS does not try and shoot down the
missile - it instead tries to take out the launch vehicle (consider the
fighter as equivalent to the salvo missile main engine :-) - and the
roll to 'lock on' it the torp fighters roll 'to hit'.

Each strike bomber is twice as big as a fighter - so each can carry 2
torp missiles.
However - they are slightly faster (by 6 mu) but have shorter endurance
(by 2 CEF) - in my mind the reduced CEF outweighs the extra speed -
leaving some room for a longer range engine on the missiles (I'll go
out on a limb and say 12 mu).

Also, if we launch the missiles during the launch ordnance phase, the
bombers already have had their movement phase to make a 'bombing run' -
effective total range is 42 mu (30 mu move + 12 mu missile).

Full group of 3 strike bombers will launch a strike equal to 1 salvo -
depleted groups reduce the maximum number of missiles that lock on by 2
per bomber lost.

Alternatively, each bomber carries 1 longer ranged missile, off the cuf
I'd say treat as an MT missile with reduced warhead strength (1d6 damage
as opposed to 2d6).

Well - probably way out - and I've no real idea as to cost (about 12 per
bomber brings 'em in to line with torp fighters?)

Charles

Prev: Re: [OT] USN and USAF sharing the same crack pipe Next: Re: Maritime Strike Bombers