Prev: Re: [OT] USN and USAF sharing the same crack pipe Next: Re: Maritime Strike Bombers

Re: Fighter Fur Balls a thing of the past?

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 10:42:16 -0400
Subject: Re: Fighter Fur Balls a thing of the past?

>On Thu, 31 May 2001 02:41:18 -0400 Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com>
>wrote:
>
> > A bloody interesting article at Janes. <
>
>True, but haven't we heard this before? "The bomber will always get
>through" from pre-WW2; "the dogfight is obsolete because jets fly too
>fast" between WW2 and Korea; "the dogfight is obsolete now that we've
>got missiles" in Vietnam and after...

The key thing here is the Off axis targeting for the SRAAMs. The
fights between USM F-18 pilots and Israeli (F-15s I guess) really
shows that.

>The analysts may be right; missile technology, with or without help
>from supercruise, etc., may have finally advanced to the point where
>the furball is never to be seen again, but I doubt it. For dogfights to
>truly vanish, it implies that one side or the other in a combat would
>have to be wiped out or scared away, and I can't see that happening.
>And then there's those pesky Rules of Engagement, as cursed by many a
>US airman over 'Nam...

I think what they are calling dog fights is the need to get the other
guy in your front and zap him. Its getting to the point that you
don't need to be behind him to zap him. You can be beside him (or in
a hard turn) and get a lockup with your Short range Air to Air
Missile. The Python 4s and 5s do that nicely now.

>I know that I wouldn't bet my life on it; were I a fighter jock, I'd
>want a gun in my metal-and-composite steed, and I'd want to train and
>train in ACM in an aircraft that had the capability for high
>manoeuvring, because when the kimchee hits the fan, I would _not_ want
>to rely solely on a superwondermissile to keep me and my mount in one
>piece.

They somewhat address that. Not the USAF and the USMC's attitude
about guns in the UCAV argument.

>What could happen if this is the case is the decline and passing of the
>fighter _pilot_. If the weapons become the all-important arbiter of
>success or failure, then aircraft become pure weapons platforms, so why
>weigh them down with jocks and their egos? Far better to make
>higher-performance missile-toters with lots of sensors, controlled by
>someone sitting in comfort at a workstation.

There is an article on Jane's site about this very thing. UCAVs. Take
a look at that one too....

--
- Ryan Montieth Gill		DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com  I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -

Prev: Re: [OT] USN and USAF sharing the same crack pipe Next: Re: Maritime Strike Bombers