Prev: Re: [Way OT] Submarine launched fighter MPEG URL Next: Re: [Way OT] Submarine launched fighter MPEG URL

RE: [OT] USN and USAF sharing the same crack pipe

From: Michael Riddle <mriddle@c...>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 08:02:28 -0400
Subject: RE: [OT] USN and USAF sharing the same crack pipe

I searched the web and can find no reference to a "SSN Palsutton".
Are we sure this is not a joke?

Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 00:13:45 -0400
From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca>
Subject: [OT] USN and USAF sharing the same crack pipe

I'd include the rather amazing MPEG, but it's
3/4 of a meg and I'm on dialup (and that'd be
bad form for the list). Save to say, it shows a
fighter emerge trailing clouds of gas from the
water nose first, fire rockets or afterburners,
and go vertical. Quite extrordinairy.

Potential Pilots take note: I have no idea how
they plan to _recover_ the plane launched thus
because there doesn't seem to be a landing
strip....

And what's next? The air force having C-5s drop
out PBRs using a LAPES? Someone who came
up with these concepts has been hit with one of
those infamous $150 hammers one time too
many.... (but I'll bet there was a big contract for
someone's riding in this!)

> PRESS ADVISORY April 19, 2001
> First successful Launch of USAF F-15 from
Navy Subsurface Carrier.
> During a joint Navy/Air Force demonstration
an Air force F-15 was
> successfully launched form the flight deck of
SSN Palsutton. The
> demonstration took place off the coast of
Naval Submarine Base
> Kings Bay on April 11, 2001.
> As demented the process is of a highly
evolved environmental/
> hydrodynamic system in which the aircraft is
launched with a
> regenerated balanced hydrostatic bow wave
attached to the leading
> of all surfaces of the aircraft. Pulled along in
the low pressure
> region attached to the bow wave the aircraft
remains encapsulated
> in what is known as 'Wet-Air'. Wet-Air is a
proprietary mixture
> of gases that allows the jet engines to be
operated at up to full
> take-off thrust with afterburners. An Air Force
spokesperson said,
> "We are proud of what have been able to
demonstrate with the Navy
> and feel that the Air-Force has a bright
future with the Navy as
> far as interoperable subsurface warfare is
concerned."

Prev: Re: [Way OT] Submarine launched fighter MPEG URL Next: Re: [Way OT] Submarine launched fighter MPEG URL