Prev: Re: Getting nailed from Way Far Away (tm) Next: Re: Sensors

Re: morale/parked command in SG2 and ESM in space

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 19:15:50 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: morale/parked command in SG2 and ESM in space

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Ryan Gill wrote:

> Hmm, I wonder if the High resolution ESM system should be a separate
> fitment...

Piossibly.. But I think there's still a lot of hard to solve issues
there.

> >Hrm. They'd need a pentium-V for each of their active sensors. I'm
not
> >sure who's got the winning argument here... Also, there's still a
heck of
> >a lot fo outdated stuff floating around, against which your brand new
ESM
> >rig would have a whopping good time. (And the same argument can be
made
> >for the whopping new radar suite vs old ESM)
> >

> Its not an argument by any means. Its a really damn good discussion
> that has me thinking of some of the real world issues. We can
> extrapolate from there for the 180 year jump.

Yup :) Especilly for things that are ALREADY possible, I don't see them
suddenly becoming impossible.

> >Yes. So, it's going to require a die roll for both sides, with ESM vs
> >sensor quality taken into account? :)
>
> That sounds like it. I'm still wondering if Crew grade needs to figure
in.

> Or can you take an illiterate Eurie Dolist, plop him down in front of
> the radar set and expect it to work like a champ? (Press this button
> every 10 minutes...)

The question is, what do you want to express here, that's _particular_
this kind of operation. Of course crew quality affects just about
everything that a ship does, in the way of speed of decision making,
fumbling at the buttons, etc. So I'd suggest the question is, does crew
quality have n _extraordinary_ impact here.

Well, actually... Modern radar systems run themselves pretty much. I can
only talk from my personal experience with the sysrtems we build, and
with
the few navy ships I've been aboard of, but... Where older radar sets
had
a techie on the job, in the CiC, modern radar systems only have a techie
on standby in case the thing breaks down, and otherwise it's switched on
and off, and operational parameters are set by the operator. Ask any
maintainer for the technical skills of those operators, and they are
exactly none ;)

So, the skill of the operator is in building a tactical picture from the
information presented by various sensor systems, and taking the correct
actions, as warranted by the situation/ordered by weapons doctrines etc.
Possibly, in case of jamming etc, the correct response has to be chosen,
or a correction has to be made. But this doesn't strike me as truly
exceptional.

I think this MAY be a bit different for sonar and ESM; for sonar ears
are
a definite issue, and I think most ESM's also have a sound output for
the
operator to use in interpreting an ESM contact.

Anyway, that's just what crosses my mind when pondering the subject.

Cheers,

   Derk

Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine

iD8DBQE7FSrQJXH58oo6ncURAoWDAJ94tgykeL26yb90mOV4jLqGfz0avACgqaVM
d9mpb+52b50vWL/+HWmUJRs=
=cT2q

Prev: Re: Getting nailed from Way Far Away (tm) Next: Re: Sensors