Prev: RE: Maritime Strike Bombers Next: Re: Getting nailed from Way Far Away (tm)

Re: morale/parked command in SG2 and ESM in space

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 12:16:11 -0400
Subject: Re: morale/parked command in SG2 and ESM in space

At 9:34 AM +0200 5/30/01, Derk Groeneveld wrote:

>This is true. I wouldn't know any ESM systems that have the same
bearing
>eresolution as a good radar system. Why is this? Well, you need a good
>many antennae in your ESM to get the broad band ESM capability. In
>addition, you want 360 degrees coverage. So you'll need 360/area of
>coverage antennae per frequency band. And last, radar antennae are big
for
>the very reason of getting the narrow beam. Now try to fit umpty of
these
>big antennae for your ESM system, and your ESM system suddenly got
thrown
>off the ship and off the budget ;)

Hmm, I wonder if the High resolution ESM system should be a separate
fitment...

[snip]

>Hrm. They'd need a pentium-V for each of their active sensors. I'm not
>sure who's got the winning argument here... Also, there's still a heck
of
>a lot fo outdated stuff floating around, against which your brand new
ESM
>rig would have a whopping good time. (And the same argument can be made
>for the whopping new radar suite vs old ESM)

Its not an argument by any means. Its a really damn good discussion
that has me thinking of some of the real world issues. We can
extrapolate from there for the 180 year jump.

>Yes. So, it's going to require a die roll for both sides, with ESM vs
>sensor quality taken into account? :)

That sounds like it. I'm still wondering if Crew grade needs to figure
in.

Or can you take an illiterate Eurie Dolist, plop him down in front of
the radar set and expect it to work like a champ? (Press this button
every 10 minutes...)

--
- Ryan Montieth Gill		DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com  I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -

Prev: RE: Maritime Strike Bombers Next: Re: Getting nailed from Way Far Away (tm)