Prev: Re: [SGII] Firing while still Next: Re: Getting nailed from Way Far Away (tm)

Re: morale/parked command in SG2 and ESM in space

From: agoodall@c...
Date: 30 May 2001 08:46:35 -0700
Subject: Re: morale/parked command in SG2 and ESM in space

On Tue, 29 May 2001, "Thomas Barclay" wrote:

> Here's some ideas to correct "static
> commander syndrome":
> 1) Transfers from outside LoS of the
> commander are at +1 difficulty

I like that. See (*) below.

> 2) Rally attempts outside of 6" are at +2
> difficulty

I like that, too.

> 3) Surprise enemy squad (lesson: you aren't
> safe by yourself even in the "cleared" woods).

Not the kind of thing I'd like in one of my games.

> 4) SNIPER!

I sort of disagree with this. A sniper can be just as nasty for a
command unit if it is static, or if it moves with its troops. It could
be argued that you are better off not moving the commander if there is a
sniper around, as you are more likely to blunder into the sniper if you
move. And all that moving uses up Transfer Actions, perhaps more than if
the unit just stood there and waited for the sniper to hit them.

* By the odds, moving a command unit eats up 50% (assuming one action
spent moving) of the possible transfers. A +1 to the communication die
roll will, on average, mean that a Regular unit with a 1 leader will
lose 25% of its transfer actions, a 2 leader would lose 38% of its
transfer actions, and a 3 leader would lose 50%.

This means, on average that an R3 leader during an attack is just as
well off hiding in a corner somewhere as being with the front line
troops moving forward. For veterans, of course, the odds change to 20%,
30%, and 40% chance of loss.

Once the attack starts to falter, and the units stop moving, the
commander is better of being close to his troops. The problem is that
the leader has to be within LOS. If troops are hugging a tree line, the
commander won't see them anyway. If the troops are spread out, he is
only going to be able to directly help one, maybe two, units. This seems
to suggest that since he's going to have to make +1 communication rolls
anyway, he should do so way at the back of the table where it is safe.

This appears to give you the exact opposite of what you are after. When
the troops are separated, in dense cover, when they need leadership the
most, the leader is better off staying nice in safe in the rear.

I suggest that you make it +1 to the communication roll if the units are
outside of a set distance AND out of line of sight. The distance would
be, say... 1 range band. So, a Regular unit would have an automatic
transfer at 6" from a unit, no modifier up to 8", and +1 beyond 8". For
a Veteran, the distances would be 6", 10" and beyond. This at least
gives some reason to have the command unit near the troops in dense
terrain.

Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com

Prev: Re: [SGII] Firing while still Next: Re: Getting nailed from Way Far Away (tm)