Prev: Re: Leading from the front, reprise Next: [FT] Starbase 13 scenario using FB1/FB2 rules

Re: [OT] Figure painting question

From: Tony Francis <tony.francis@k...>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 11:30:00 +0100
Subject: Re: [OT] Figure painting question

I'm currently in the middle of painting (ie I started them a while ago
but haven't got round to finishing ...) some 15mm FSE PA in the
'chocolate chip' camo'. I'm taking the slow route however, painting the
spots by hand. The toothbrush flick method 'might' work for 15s, but
practice first before aiming a loaded toothbrush at your figures ! The
paint would have to be fairly thick otherwise it would simply spread by
capillary action over the surface of the bristles - in this case you
want it to stay on the tips of the bristles. Use a (clean) wooden ice
lolly stick (or a tongue depressor if you can get one) to flick the
bristles - remember to draw the stick *towards* you to get the paint to
flick the other way, otherwise the only thing you'll camouflage is your
own shirt ! The only thing I've successfully painted with this method
before was a star background for some photos.

A tip I read once for 6mm figures was to use a knackered old brush which
you've accidentally forgotten to clean, and the paint has hardened it
into several 'spikes'. Dip these spikes in your chosen camo' colour and
you can apparently paint 6mm uniforms very quickly.

Just for the record, there are some of my 15mm NSL PA in ambush camo on
Brian's SG2 gallery page :

http://www.ftsr.org/sg2/gallery.asp

but these were done the hard way :-(

Tony

"laserlight@quixnet.net" wrote:

> I have 15mm and 6mm troops and I'm wondering how to do camo on them.
The pattern I have in mind is more or less the US Gulf War era chocolate
chip, or one of the African "leopard spots" patterns.
> Constraint 1: no airbrush
> Constraint 2: it needs to be quick; anything time intensive will take
me the rest of the year to complete.
> Constraint3: I am looking for lots of small speckles rather than the
well-defined spots that eg Andy Cowell's troops have (Andy posted the
link a few weeks ago--quite depressing, for those of us who default to
spraypaint....)

> My fevered imagination has come up with two ideas:
> a) put some paint on a toothbrush and flick the bristles with a
knife/pencil/finger, creating a spray.

--
Tony Francis

Prev: Re: Leading from the front, reprise Next: [FT] Starbase 13 scenario using FB1/FB2 rules