Prev: Confed sniper Next: morale/parked command in SG2 and ESM in space

RE: Maritime Strike Bombers

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 02:54:05 -0400
Subject: RE: Maritime Strike Bombers

>Overgunned and WAY undercosted (should be close to 120 points).

Yep, the tactics in the first try missed the Hmm move 30" now fire
out to 36" or even just under 54" (assuming a very slow target, ie
big NSL or ESU mobile fortress ships). After thinking further the
cost was too low.

>Possible modifications:
>*****
>Strike Bomber stats:
>Mass: 2 each (Count each bomber as 2 for fighter morale purposes).

Hadn't thought about morale....

>Movement: 30" / 12"
>CEF: 4 (cost: 1 per attack, 1 for missile launch, 1 for extra move)

Hmm, leaving 1 for getting out of Dodge.... not bad.

>Dogfight / Antiship: 5-6 = 1 point (reroll on 6).

5 and 6? why not just 6. They aren't going to look for a
fight....Their defense is running fast and not being where the
fighters are.

>"Heavy" fighter

Makes sense I think. Though, if they get caught near fighters, the
fighters should be able to make short work of them, they may be
heavier, but the slower turn rate would make them easy pickings.

>Carries 2 SML missiles, 12" range or 1 MT capship missile.

Hmm... given that torp fighters are size 1 and carry a single shot
mass 4 weapon...I'm inclined for the 1 ER SMR or 2 MT / ship. Though
the increased points cost above the standard cost of SMRs and MTMs at
15pts and 3 mass per launching platform. Even better, you break this
down nicely just below here....

>Cost: 12 each = 3 (std) +2 (heavy) +1 (limited fast) +6 (1/3 SMR cost
or
>capship MT missile) +0 (Dogfight/antiship cancel each other).

For x2 MT armed about 16 each = 3 (std) +1 (limited fast) +12 (MT
missile cost)
for ER SMR armed  19 = 3 (std) +1 (limited fast) +15 (ER SMR cost)

>Add +6 per fighter for planetary based (covers part of the cost of the
>carrier for play balance)

Hmm makes sense. I like the balancing factors...

>Squadron Rules:
>3 fighters per wing.  (36 per wing +18 for planet based)
>Missiles are launched during Fighter Attack phase and automatically
locks
>1d6 missiles onto the target(treat SMLs as a single salvo, MT missiles
as
>individual salvoes).  If the bombers have suffered previous losses,
ignore
>impossible rolls (1-4 missiles if only 2 bombers, 1-2 if only 1
bomber).
>PDS is allocated after missile launch, but before number of missiles is
>rolled.  Note that the 12" range for the missiles could deny the ship
PDS
>fire at the bombers themselves.

I'm pushing the idea that the defense against these is very handy PDS
or an outer defense of Interceptors specifically for catching these
guys.

>Potentially these Bombers could launch missiles (1 CEF), move to within
>range (1 CEF) and then attack with limited antiship (1 CEF).

Hmm, I don't envision any short range anti-ship weapons. Once they
fire their ordinance, they head for home fast.

Thanks for the ideas though....I'll definately have to boost the cost
and potentially the mass/ bomber.

--
- Ryan Montieth Gill		DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com  I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -

Prev: Confed sniper Next: morale/parked command in SG2 and ESM in space