Prev: Re: Sensors Fr: [FT] Simultaneous Fire Next: Re: Getting nailed from Way Far Away (tm)

Re: Leading from the front, reprise

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 23:26:02 -0400
Subject: Re: Leading from the front, reprise

At 8:37 PM -0400 5/29/01, Allan Goodall wrote:

>Not according to Ambrose. The majority of troops at Omaha were
inexperienced.
>They were very well trained, but new to combat. It was thought that
troops
>that knew what they would be up against would be more likely to
hesitate. I
>don't have my books with me (most are packed in a storage locker) but
this
>point was made clear in Stephen Ambrose's "D-Day".

Hmm, Ok, I looked it up. I have D-Day (Ambrose) and the Longest Day
(Ryan)

I found a good point in Chapter 18 about the 16th Regiment (of the
1st Infantry Div) at Omaha. Apparently they were the only ones with
combat experience (Both in North Africa and in Sicily).

Leafing through one of the major themes I noticed is that many radios
were damaged or destroyed once they were ashore. Hence adding to
confusion and a breakdown in communications.

--
- Ryan Montieth Gill		DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com  I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -

Prev: Re: Sensors Fr: [FT] Simultaneous Fire Next: Re: Getting nailed from Way Far Away (tm)