Prev: Re: Sensors Next: RE: Leading from the front, reprise

Full Metal Ogre - Playtest 7 (Long)

From: "bbell1@i..." <bbell1@insight.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 08:24:28 -0400
Subject: Full Metal Ogre - Playtest 7 (Long)

Full Metal Ogre is an attempt to bring Ogre into Dirtside II. The rules
for the conversion are at
http://www.ftsr.org/ds2/multiverse/fmaogre.asp. A Yahoo Group has been
set up to track the progress of this work it is at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fullmetalogre/.

With your indulgence, I will share playtest 7:

Blue Forces (Defenders)

A  3x Hazard SHvy Tank	    375   1125
B  4x Harbinger Hvy Tank    351   1404
C  4x Fircat AFV	    228    912
E  4x Vampire Hunter Tank   156    624
F  4x Halifax GEV	    217    868
G  4x Hailstorm Missle Tank 294   1176
H  4x Power Armor Elements   60    240
N  2x Bouncer APC	    147    294
I  4x Power Armor Elements   60    240
P  2x Bouncer APC	    147    294
J  4x Line Infantry Elemnts  20     80
L  2x Lowboy APC	     54    108
K  4x Line Infantry Elemnts  20     80
M  2x Lowboy APC	     54    108
				  ----
Total:				  7553

A 3x Hazard Super Hvy Tank  CO,Vet/1   (375pts)
  Size/5, MDC/5, FCS:S, ECM:S, PDS:SUP, Stealth/1, Armor/5, Slow
Tracked
  Atk: d10  Dam: d12,d8  Def: d6,d4  Amr: d12

B 4x Harbinger Hvy Tank  CO,Reg/1  (351pts)
  Size/4, HKP/4, FCS:S, GMS/H:E, ECM:S, PDS:S, Armor/4, Fast Tracked
  Atk: d10 (d10)  Dam: d10,d8 (d12,d8)	Def: d6,d4  Amr: d10

C 4x Firecat AFV (unit A)  CO,Vet/2  (228pts)
  Size/3, HEL/3, FCS:E, ECM:E, PDS:E, Stealth/1, Armor/3, HMWheeled
  Atk: d8  Dam: d8,d6*	Def: d10,d4  Amr: d8

E 4x Vampire Hunter  CO,Reg/3  (156pts)
  Size/3, HKP/3, FCS:E, ECM:E, PDS:E, Armor/3, Fast Tracked
  Atk: d8  Dam: d8,d8  Def: d8,d4  Amr: d8

F 4x Halifax  CO,Reg/2	(217pts)
  Size/3, HVC/3, FCS:E, ECM:E, Stealth/1, Armor/3, Fast GEV/Amphibious
  Atk: d8  Dam: d8,d6  Def: d10,d4  Amr: d8

G 4x Hailstorm Missile Tank  CO,Reg/1  (294pts)
  Size/3, 2xGMS/H:S, ECM:E, PDS:E, Stealth/1, Armor/3
  Atk: d10  Dam: d12,d8*  Def: d10,d4  Amr: d8

H 4x Power Armor (Group A) [APC D]  CO,Reg/2  (60pts)
  Power Armor, GMS/L:B
  Atk: d6  Dam: d8,d8*	Def: I	Amr: d12i

N 2x Bouncer APC (Group D)  CO,Reg/3  (147pts)
  Size/4, Armor: 3, 2xASPW, FCS:None, ECM:B, Stealth/1, Troop
Capacity: 16
(2 PA), HMWheeled
  Atk: I  Dam: d8i,d8i	Def: d10,d4  Amr: d8

I 4x Power Armor (Group B) [APC B]  CO,Reg/2

P 2x Bouncer APC (Group A)  CO,Reg/2

J 4x Line Infantry (Group A) [APC B]  CO, Reg/2 (20pts)
  Line Infantry, IVAR
  Atk: I  Dam: d6,d8  Def: I  Amr: d10i

L 2x Lowboy APC (Group B)  CO,Reg/2  (54pts)
  Size/3, Armor/3, 2xAPSW, FCS:None, ECM:B, Troop Capacity: 8 (2
Inf),  Fast
Tracked

K 4x Line Infantry (Group B) [APC C]  CO, Reg/2
  Line Infantry, IVAR
  Atk: I  Dam: d6,d8  Def: I  Amr: d10i

M 2x Lowboy APC (Group C)  CO,Reg/2

Red Force (Attacker)

1x Ogre Mark III

Laytout: Same as previous playtests --
Defence has a light CP nesseled rock outcropping which covers the East,
West and South aspects of the base. To the East, West, and south are
wooded areas about 0.8x1km in area each. To the south and slightly to
the West is a lake about 1x1km in area. About a km south of that is an
elevated area with woods to the West (these woods have a path through
them). About 3 km to the East is also an elevated area with woods to the
East. About a km south of that is another patch of heavy woods. About
7km directly south of the CP is a patch of heavy woods. Defenders' armor
set up within 3km (30") of the CP. 1 armor unit may be deployed forward
upto 5km (50"). Infantry and APCs may be depolyed upto 5km (50") from
base. After defence is deployed, the Ogre is placed on the table no more
than 0.8km (8") from South edge.

Playtest 7 setup:
Hailstorms (G) placed forward between woods on West side.
Power Armor teams (H, I) and APCs (N, P) are deployed East and West in
woods.
Line infantry are set up in woods just South of CP.
Other armor units are spead out within 3km of CP.
Ogre is placed behind Southern woods.

Additional rules (not listed in Full Metal Ogre rules):
1) When Ogre moves through woods, it leaves a path that other AFVs can
use.
2) Paths are treated as 'Clear' for movement, but only allow LOS for 6".
If a vehicle is immobilized on the path, no other AFV may use the path
until the vehicle is cleared.

Turn 1:
Ogre wins initiative.
Ogre advances 8.
A (Hazard SHvy Tanks),B (Harbingrer Hvy Tanks), E (Vampire Hunter Tanks)
advance full
F (Halifax GEVs) advances through path in woods. It has LOS to the Ogre,
but not range.
Ogre fires Main Gun (MG) and 4x Seconds at F. Two hits with the seconds,
but no damage.

Turn 2:
Defenders win init.
F advances 1.5km (15") and fires at seconds. Two hits, but no damage.
Ogre fires MG and 4x Seconds at F. MG and 1 Second hit (same AFV). The
AFV is destroyed. This was the leader of F. F remains confident (CO),
but are disorganized.
Ogre advances 8 into woods.
A, B, E, G (Hailstorm Missile Tanks), H (Power Armor), and I (Power
Armor) advance.

Turn 3:
Ogre wins init and waits.
F advances 1.5km (15") evading arround woods back into unit integrity.
B, E, G, H, and I advance.
Ogre advances 8. It drops missiles on E and B. It fires MG at A (short
range), but misses. It fires Seconds at G (short range), and kills 2
AFVs. The remaining AFVs are CO.
A fires at MG. 3 hits and the Main Gun is destroyed.
Missiles land. B looses 3 tanks, but the last tank is CO. E looses all 4
tanks.
Ogre fires 8 anti-personnel guns (AP) at H for 2 kills. H (2 PA left)
falls to Steady (ST).

Turn 4:
Ogre wins init.
Ogre advances 8, ramming last tank in B. B is destroyed. Ogre looses 4
tread.
Ogre fires 4x Seconds at A. 3 hits, but only immobilizes 2 Super Heavy
Tanks.
Ogre fires 8 AP at H, killing the last 2 PA in H.
F advances 15 on the Ogre's tail (up the trail) and fire at tread. 2
hits, but no damage.
A attacks Seconds. 1 hit, but no damage.
C attacks Seconds, but miss.
I attacks tread (GMS/L). 1 hit, but no damage.
G attacks Seconds. 2 hits (same 2nd), but no damage.

Turn 5:
Ogre wins init.
Ogre fires 4 Seconds at A. 4 hits and kills all 3 Super Heavy Tanks.
F advance 15 and attack tread, but miss.
G fier at tread, but miss. They move 6 for a better angle.
I attack tread, but  miss.
C attacks tread. 1 hit for 4 tread. Ogre movement is reduced to 7.

Turn 6:
Ogre wins init and advances 7.
Ogre fires 4x Seconds at C. 3 hits, 3 kills. C falls to Shaken (SH).
G attacks Seconds. 1 hit. 1 Second destroyed.
C attacks tread, but misses.
I attacks tread. 1 hit, but no damage. I mounts P.
P moves toward CP.
F moves 7.5" and attacks Seconds, but miss.
N (APCs of now dead H) moves toward CP.

Turn 7:
Defence wins init.
G attacks Seconds. 2 hits, but no damage. G advance 6.
Ogre advances 7. It fires 2x Seconds at G. 1 hit, 1 kill. The last AFV
in G falls to ST. Ogre fires 1x Second at C. It hits and kills last AFV
in C.
F advances 7.5" and attacks tread. 2 hits, but no damage.
N retreats toward infantry.
L retreats to pickup CP personnel.

Turn 8:
Ogre wins intit and advances 7. It attacks J with 8 APs for 2 kills. J
remains CO. It attacks F with Seconds for 1 hit, but no damage.
J attacks tread with IVARs and destroys 1 tread.
F advance 7 and attack Seconds, but miss.
K advance and attack tread with IVARs to destroy 5 tread. Ogre movement
fallls to 6.
G advances 6 and attacks Seconds. 1 hit and 1 Second destroyed.
L retreats with CP staff.
P advances toward CP.

Turn 9:
Ogre wins init. It attacks K with AP for 2 kills. K falls to SH. It
attacks G with 1x Second, but misses. It attacks F with a Second. Hit
and kills an AFV. F falls to ST. The Ogre advances 6.
G advances 6 and attacks Seconds. 1 hit, but no damage.
F advances 7 up trail left by Ogre in woods. F attacks tread. 1 hit, but
no damage.
J advance and fire at tread. 4 tread destroyed. Ogre movement reduced to
5.
K advance and fire at tread, but fail to do any damage.
P advances and I dismounts into woods to the West of the CP.

Turn 10:
Ogre wins init. It fires APs at J and K. J looses 2 teams, but the last
team of J is CO. It fires a Second at F, but misses. The Ogre advances
6.
F advances 6 and attacks tread. 2 hits, but no damage.
G advances 6 and attacks Second. 1 hit, but no damge.
P retreats arround woods.
I comes to edge of woods and attacks tread, but misses.

Turn 11:
Defence wins init.
G moves 5 and attacks Seconds. 1 hit and a Second is destroyed.
Ogre advances 5. APs attack I, but no damage.
I attacks Second, but misses.
F advances 7.5" and attack Second. 1 hit, but no damage.

Turn 12:
Ogre wins init. Ogre advances 5 and kills CP with Second. *Minor Ogre
Victory Ensured* Ogre fires APs at I. 2 kills, but I remains CO.
G advances but has no shot.
F advances and attacks the last Second. 1 hit, but no damage.

Turn 13:
Defence wins init.
I attacks Second, but misses.
Ogre fires Second at F, hits, but only immobilizes an AFV. It fires APs
at I for 1 kill, but the last PA remains CO. The Ogre advances 5 into
the woods.
F advances 5 and attacks tread, but misses.
G mvoes to anticipate Ogre exit from woods.

Turn 14:
Defence wins init:
F advances and attacks Second, but misses.
Ogre attacks F with Second, but misses. It advances 5 through woods.

Turn 15:
Defence wins init.
F advances and attacks Second, but misses.
The advance of F proves fatal as the Ogre reverses course and backs over
F killing the AFV. The Ogre looses 3 tread.

Turn 16:
Ogre wins init and advances 5 clearing the edge of the woods. It attacks
G with the remaining Second for a Kill (last AFV in G).

Ogre dances home.

Conclusions:
Just about right. I don't think that the rules need changing.
Point value MAY be a little too low for the Ogre. I will have to
playtest again. Some stupid mistakes by the defenders and some lucky
rolls by the Ogre made the game seem more lop-sided that it actually
was.

Full Metal Ogre: http://www.ftsr.org/ds2/multiverse/fmaogre.asp

Prev: Re: Sensors Next: RE: Leading from the front, reprise