Prev: [OT] coins for bases Next: Re: Sensors

Leading from the front, reprise

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 02:40:19 -0400
Subject: Leading from the front, reprise

Allan wrote:

Well, I didn't mean "out of harm's way"
sense. I meant in the "don't do a
charge into close combat with your
company commander, thinking he's your
best soldier" sense. I was trying to show the
problems with using your commander in
a GW way.

--> Well, GW has interesting systems where
it pays to charge into combat because your
CC range exceeds gun range and silly stuff
like that. Surely your company commander
shouldn't be used to lead an attack, except
in extremis. In WW2 and (as you point out)
other wars, people of high rank did motivate
(transfer command, but a lot of times it was
"with me!") troops to get into a fight. There is
a time and place for your COs to step up to
the mike. I find the SG2 rules promote the Lt
sitting in the far corner of the board using
his radio all day instead of staying with his
troops (seen it done many times). Keeps
him safe and he can still do his job.... <ick!>

And higher. This isn't restricted to WW2.
Remember how
"Stonewall" Jackson was
mortally wounded...

--> He wasn't the guy saying "They're a mile
away! No one can hit from....
<Bang>...<Thump>"..... I seem to recall
some general discovering the enemy had a
new rifle....

Except that the main reason leaders lead
from the front is to get a better tactical feel
for the terrain and relative troop positions.

--> This is one major reason. I _really_ don't
think you should sell short the morale effects
of leading from the front at platoon level
though. When officers are seen to not be
putting it on the line, often their troops
perform in a very unmotivated fashion.

--> I think good reasons to lead from the
front are:
  - Tactical Awareness (spatial and
situational)
  - Morale and Motivation
  - Faster Decision Loop
  - Less prone to be interfered with

--> Of course, the downside is you lose
officers to snipers, artillery, enemy small
arms, etc. But I have yet to see a terribly
successful force (all other factors being
equal) whose line officers in the infantry
tend to hang back like many people make
their officers do in SG2 games I've seen at
conventions.

Reading Ambrose's "D-Day", it's interesting
to see that pinned troops were often pinned
not out of intense fear, but out of fear mixed
with not knowing what to do.

--> A training issue perhaps?

The troops started moving on Omaha beach
mostly because everyone from Sergeants
up to Generals started giving them orders.

--> And more than a few Lts. and Captains
got down on the beach and kicked ass
personally to get things going. Most poor
unexperienced grunts don't know what they
should be doing in odd situations or what
their officer would want them to do next (or
more importantly, the NCO!). Once given
direction, they tend to act. But they tend to
act with far more zest if they are following
their leader into something (or he's at least
there taking some risks) than if they get a
radio message saying "charge that
machinegun nest!".

But as I said, the point of my "not lead from
the front" comment wasn't in the sense that
troops don't or shouldn't do it. It's in the
sense that I like to show the problems with
doing it in a game sense (versus those
games that encourage it to the point of
silliness).

--> Fine, but I think (my opinion) command
transfers where the officer can't see the unit
he's attempting to command should have a
+1 assigned to the tranfer. It's _much_
easier to give an order and clarify things by
pointing or saying "by the tree, 60m
forward" if you can see the same thing your
troops can. It also prevents you giving bad
orders because your whizzo tech mapboard
doesn't show the gully the ESU are using for
cover and you figure you've got them cold.

--> A good way to simulate this sometime
would be to setup an SG2 game in one
room. Put two players (enemy commanders)
in other rooms with just maps. Use either a
computer network or just radio and make
their guys communicate with them. You find
out _really_ fast just how easy it is to garble
messages, be unclear, execute wrong
orders (especially if they go through
someone on the way to you). The way I see
it, your point man shouldn't be your Lt, but
he'd darn well better be amidst the platoon to
see what they're doing. If I see him sitting
back at the back by himself in the woods, he
may find the GM inserted surprise enemy
squad rather .... traumatic.

Prev: [OT] coins for bases Next: Re: Sensors