Prev: Re: tank gun acceleration versus orbital gun acceleration Next: Re: tank gun acceleration versus orbital gun acceleration

[SG2] leader loss

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 14:02:46 -0400
Subject: [SG2] leader loss

Hmmm. Here's my take:

I myself use the platoon leader and platoon
sergeant as individual figures, thus I know when
they are corpsed. But assuming that you know
which figure it is and it goes down when
someone shoots at the command squad, you
have an interesting situtation: If the Lt goes
down, the PSgt can usually take over. Often
times, he's as good of a combat leader if not
better. So a normal leader loss replacement roll
should be made (remembering the suppression
placed on a squad for losing its leader). The
rest of the command probably wouldn't react
directly.

However, in the event that the Platoon Sergeant
goes down, power tends to devolve to the
senior squad commander, who himself is
probably a sergeant (may be a corporal).

I find by assigning my Lt and his Platoon Sgt
leadership values explicitly before the game, I
save a little bit of mid game bookkeeping.

Now, let's talk about the situation where a unit
has had its next highest level of command
wiped out (ie the platoon loses the entire
command squad including Lt and Sgt, or the
Company loses the Major and the CSM).

In this situation, I think it not unreasonable to
1) halt command transfers until a new company
or platoon commander is put in place
2) for each level down of the new commander
(ie a squad leader running a platoon), degrade
the leaders leadership value by 1 (a squad
leader 1 becomes a platoon leader 2 and if
forced to assume company command, would
become a company commander 3)
3) The unit that should succeed (senior squad
leader) should take a reorg which would cover
his informing the platoon he's in command now
4) All units in the command should take a
morale test at TL 2. This represents the morale
issues introduced by losing key command
elements. People might keep on fighting, but
everyone might be kinda shookup about it also.

So, if your platoon loses the entire command
squad, it temporarily can't do command
transfers, and the squad leader who will be
taking over the platoon must spend an action
from his squad to reorg and take command.
When he does, his effective leadership drops by
1 (he's managing more than he usually does)
and all the platoons units take a TL 2 test for
morale.

This isn't "rulebook", but it seems like a
reasonable approach.

I have to, OTOH, disagree entirely with Allan's
comment about NOT leading from the front.
Most of the good military forces of the 20th
century with high levels of motivation have had
officers that lead from the front. The Israelis
have had brutal "officer killed" stats. In WW2,
many german officers were killed (as were
Canadian and other allied officers) leading from
the front. This applies particularly at the platoon
and company level, but even at the regimental
level. Reading about Falaise, I'm finding stories
of units who changed high level command three
times in a day due to casualties and stories of
majors and lt-colonels taking point to get their
units moving during assaults. This isn't just a
luxury, this is a necessity. Men will follow officers
who take the risks and who demonstrate they
won't ask anyone to do what they would not
do. And it helps get a stalled unit moving again,
even if the officer is injured or killed. This is one
of the reasons the Aliens CMC model of the Lt.
back in the APC wouldn't be too likely.

My 0.02.