Prev: Re: [OT]-ish : Figure painting question - Craft store Paints Next: Re: [OT]-ish : Figure painting question - Craft store Paints

Re: [OT]-ish : Figure painting question - Craft store Paints

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 13:20:44 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [OT]-ish : Figure painting question - Craft store Paints

On 24-May-01 at 13:12, Hudak, Michael (mihudak@state.pa.us) wrote:
> Just a quick question about craft store paints.....  I often see
paints at
> craft stores that have about 4 or so fluid ounces in them....  on sale
they
> go for less than a buck a bottle.....  I think they're acrylics
>
> How good are these paints for painting miniatures?  Or should I just
get
> the 'specialty' paints from the likes of GW, the armory, etc....

The craft store paints are mostly just as good as the GW stuff and
better than some of the others.  Personally, I use Eileens (sp), as
far as I am concerned this is better than any of the minis paints.
You don't get "this is ogre flesh" type things, but the colors are
there.

Just a quick rundown, not on technique but on materials:

http://www.jumpspace.net/Painting/Painting.html

One comment, I used to use wood filler almost exclusively.
I recently tried the green stuff from the hobby store.	It is easier
to work with (and keeps better if not used) but the #$!% stuff shrinks.
Back to wood filler.