Prev: RE: [FT] WotW #9 Beam Bridge & E/M Sabot Next: Re:[OT]-ish : Figure painting question

Re:[OT]-ish : Figure painting question

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@s...>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 22:00:30 -0700
Subject: Re:[OT]-ish : Figure painting question

Washes are an acquired knack. It takes a lot of experimentation to
get the right. Generally, you want to err on the thinner side. It's
easy to let it dry and do another layer, but difficult to remove a
wash. I have found that acrylic paint rarely washes well - you want
inks instead. And don't buy 'em from a hobby shop (especially GW
inks). The formulation for a wash is different, so you want artist's
color acylic inks. The quality will be better than gamer inks (GW) or
washes (Dragoncolors) and will cost less [1].

The real trick is to keep practicing and varying the density of your
wash. There's no help for that.

Try mixing a bit of brown into your sand cammo and washing with the
combo. You'll want to do your highlight coat after the wash, not
before. Chestnut ink works wonders over sand.

All this is, of course, why I prefer drybrushing.

[1] Generally speaking, artist's acrylics will cost less and have
excellent color. Any art supply shop will have an excellent selection.

--

Michael Carter Llaneza

Devolution is very real to me.

Prev: RE: [FT] WotW #9 Beam Bridge & E/M Sabot Next: Re:[OT]-ish : Figure painting question