Prev: DS/SG vehicle construction Next: My disease has a name?

Re: [FT] Tech Level? Is there such a thing?

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 17:36:30 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Tech Level? Is there such a thing?

devans@uneb.edu wrote:

> ***
> The problem of tech levels is that they assume that everything changes
at
> once.
> ***
>
> Well, that DOES act as an argument for a 'tech block' system. Each
line can
> be advanced, in the main, independently, but you can tie different
blocks
> together, as you wish, by either/both using early parts of one line as
> precursor, or/and reducing the research costs of particular
advancements in
> others.

Tech blocks have their own problem from a simulation, if not gameplay,
point of
view.  The interconnected nature of technology means that the blocks and
their
dependencies must be almost purely arbitrary.  Who would have figured
that the
"manned landing on the moon" techblock requires the "thermos flask" tech
block
(Connections: Eat, drink, and be merry).

> ***
> An idea for tech levels is to reduce the range bands for weapons, or
make
> weapons heavier.  Here is my suggestion.  These are not real tech
levels,
> but sliding levels of technological maturity.
> ***
>
> So you're doing the adjustments for tech levels relative to two
combatants,
> not fixed per level, right?

Yes, because the ME262 and the F-15 belong in the same tech level (but
at
different maturity levels within it), as the F-15 does not have anything
that
the ME262 lacked, except  (possibly*) a digital computer system (the
first
field effect transistor was created about 1930, but noone had any idea
what to
do with it).  The missiles and radar are MUCH improved, but the last,
two seat
ME262 had both.

*The possibly is due to the fact that the first F-15's may have started
off

Prev: DS/SG vehicle construction Next: My disease has a name?