Prev: Re: [FT] Tech Level? Is there such a thing? Next: Re: [FT] WotW #8 Gatling Battery & Gatling Phaser

Re: [FT] Simultaneous Fire

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 23:07:43 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Simultaneous Fire

On Tue, 15 May 2001 14:48:29 -0700 (PDT), David Griffin
<carbon_dragon@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Are they on the net? Maybe a good scenario would
>help.

No, I haven't put them on the net. My SG2 site has some SG2 scenarios,
but my
FT site is kind of sparse.

Do your friends see the initiative issue being a problem? Have you
discussed
it with them? I guess there's not much to do about it if they don't find
it
that big a problem. But if some of them of them found it an issue, there
are
ways around it:

1. Pick a side that always goes first. This can be scenario based, or
the side
with the fewest ships, or some other basis.
2. Flip back and forth. One side goes first on even numbered turns, the
other
side on odd numbered turns.
3. Give the side with the most destroyed ships a +1 to the die roll (you
want
a reason? fewer ships means it's easier to co-ordinate them! :-)  ). So,
if
one fleet lost 5 ships and the other lost 4 ships, the side that lost
five
would add 5 to their roll, the other side would add 4. This actually
gives you
a reason to fire at bigger ships instead of smaller ships.
4 a. Use a deck of cards, one per ship. This changes things in a way you
might
find to be worse...
4 b. Use two decks of cards, one per side. Each player flips up one
card. They
can fire simultaneously, but only with those ships.
5. A modification of 4 that I thought about. You have one card per ship
per
fire control! So, an SDN with 5 fire controls would have 5 cards, and a
cruiser with 2 firecons would have 2 cards. When a card is drawn, the
ship can
fire ALL weapons! If a second card is drawn, you ignore it.

Note that the 4 and 5 options take away the tactics that I like. On the
other
hand, card draws can be exciting in their own right.

Just some suggestions...

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,

Prev: Re: [FT] Tech Level? Is there such a thing? Next: Re: [FT] WotW #8 Gatling Battery & Gatling Phaser