Prev: RE: [OT] Toodles Till July Next: Re: [FT] Multi-Vector Assault Mode

Re: [FT] Tech Level? Is there such a thing?

From: Indy <kochte@s...>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:46:02 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Tech Level? Is there such a thing?

Phillip Atcliffe wrote:

> On Wed, 16 May 2001 06:22:50 -0700 (PDT) David Griffin
> <carbon_dragon@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > There's a fair amount of controversy about just how big the various
> ships are. I think the Warlock is longer and bigger than the Victory.
> However, maybe the White Star is a better example. <

[...]
> I checked out the Starship Scales website, and while I'm a little
> dubious as to the size of some of the ships -- e.g., the Omega at
1700+
> m long seems a bit large -- it's interesting. Thanks for the steer.

I remember seeing it quoted from JMS some years ago that Omegas were
about 1 mile long. On one evening shift when things were quiet here
a co-worker and I sat down with an image of an Omega next to B5 from
one of the eps and calculated the length of the Omega. It came out to
1/5 that of the station (we also calculated the length of the station
to be right about 5 miles, and calculated the varying levels of
centripetal
gravity generated from the spinning of B5. IIRC, we figured that CnC was
~1/3 Earth norm? (memory is fuzzy; it's been too long and I don't know
where our notes ever ended up :-/ )

Prev: RE: [OT] Toodles Till July Next: Re: [FT] Multi-Vector Assault Mode