Prev: RE: Re: [FT] Simultaneous Fire Next: Re: RE: Re: [FT] Simultaneous Fire

Re: Pre-written and mid-move shots Re: [FT] Simultaneous Fire

From: Phillip Atcliffe <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:08:21 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
Subject: Re: Pre-written and mid-move shots Re: [FT] Simultaneous Fire

On Tue, 15 May 2001 10:42:18 -0500 devans@uneb.edu wrote:

Quoting Tony:
>> Aeronef (rules for Victorian SF flyers by Wessex Games) uses a
split turn sequence similar to this. Each turn is split into two
phases, ships move half their movement allowance in each phase and can
fire at the end of either phase (only one fire per ship per turn). The
upshot is that everyone tends to fire at the end of the first phase
unless out of range. <<

This looks like a simpler version of the way in which FASA's Starship
Combat Simulator/Game (originally Star Trek, now apparently to be
re-released with an original background) worked; in that game, movement
was divided into five segments, and ships could fire at the end of each
one, even if, due to their speed, they didn't move in it. The ultimate
extension of the idea is, of course, the SFB impulse system...

Interestingly, I never found that players hurried their shots; they
were more likely, in my experience, to wait until the target entered an
appropriate range band (as defined by the to-hit number) and then cut
loose. The system seemed to work pretty well.

> I've Aeronef rules, but never played, yet. However, I did include a
penalty for firing on the first half, but failed to mention my idea
included one shot per full turn. <

Don't know enough about Aeronef (not a VSF fan) to comment on this;
do you mean that the ship can only fire once and/or on one target per
full turn, or each weapon can fire once?

Phil
 Gravity is a Downer... So let's go flying!

Prev: RE: Re: [FT] Simultaneous Fire Next: Re: RE: Re: [FT] Simultaneous Fire