Prev: Re: Re: [FT] Simultaneous Fire Next: Re: RE: [FT] Simultaneous Fire

Re: Pre-written and mid-move shots Re: [FT] Simultaneous Fire

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 16:43:25 EDT
Subject: Re: Pre-written and mid-move shots Re: [FT] Simultaneous Fire

> As an aside, has anyone worked with the idea of using the option of
making
> a shot in mid-move? The ships would all be moved to the mid-point,
shots
> taken, ships moved to end-point, last shots taken. I recall it coming
up
> now and then, but don't have a feeling of any developement.

I've worked on something for my Russo-Japanese War rules based on FT.
It's most definitely in the Advanced Rules section.

Now, for it to work best, I use a variant of moving that doesn't require
written orders. One fleet moves all their ships half their movement, the
other fleet moves all their ships a full move, then the first fleet
moves all their ships half their movement. Or, you can split this down
into more "portions" (such as 1 moves 1/4, 2 moves 1/2, 1 moves 1/2, 2
moves 1/2, 1 moves 1/4; etc.).

Note that this staggered approach also works well WITH written orders.
You just follow what's written, but you allow combat at the "break
points" in movement.

It does fix weird problems, like an enemy ship being in your broadside
arc for most of a turn, but then ducking into your rear arc for the last
1/2" of movement. Or the opposite (a ship moving across your bow, but
ending up in your broadside arc at the last second).

I introduced it since the rules are intended to cover a historical
period

For FT, cinematic movement:

1. Players write their orders.
2. Players roll for initiative. Winner decides to go "first" or
"second".
3. Players make their initial facing changes and move to the half way
point in their movement.
4. The "first" player selects a ship to fire, if any. Combat is
resolved. The ship is marked as having been fired.
5. The "second" player selects a ship to fire, if any. Combat is
resolved. The ship is marked as having been fired.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 as necessary.
7. Players make their mid-course facing changes, and move their ships
their final distance.
8. Combat occurs as normal with the "second" player choosing a ship to
fire, then the first, etc. until all ships have been "activated".

Note, this doesn't include rules for missiles, fighters, etc. I'm not
sure what to do with missile salvoes. Do you move them to their final
spot and let them work as normal? Or do you let them "attack" any ship
within their range at the mid-point of ship movement (step 3. above)?

For fighters, I'd be tempted to move them first, then move the ships. At
the half way mark, the fighters could attack any ship within their
attack radius (or not, their choice). After the ships move the rest of
their distance, fighters could expend the additional point and move
again, perhaps engaging a ship (or the same ship) for the second time
that turn. I wouldn't allow fighters to fight twice in the one turn. You
would have to them as activated, like a ship. This means, too, that
you'd either have to mark ships that have used their PDS, ADS, or
class-1s in anti-fighter mode already that turn. (Or, you allow ships to
fire on as many unactivated fighter groups as they want, but activated
fighter groups that come within range are untouchable).

This is where the rules get messy, and would have to be playtested.

Prev: Re: Re: [FT] Simultaneous Fire Next: Re: RE: [FT] Simultaneous Fire