Prev: Re: DS2/SG2 harminization - replies to Brian and Andrew Next: Re: DS2/SG2 harminization - replies to Brian and Andrew

RE: Re: DS2/SG2 harminization - replies to Brian and Andrew

From: "bbell1@i..." <bbell1@insight.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 08:06:51 -0400
Subject: RE: Re: DS2/SG2 harminization - replies to Brian and Andrew

This was my original take on it.

The GMS/P was an IVAR with guidance and flight controls added. The
addition required making large enough that a soldier could not carry it
and an AAR (just like SAWs), unlike IVARs that could be carried by
everyone. It would have about the same impact an an IVAR, but have
greater range than a IVAR, but less than a GMS/L. And it would be
subject to ECM/EW/PDS.

The GMS/L was large enough that it required either a tripod or at least
other soldiers to lug additional missiles. Thus it was limited to Heavy
Weapons Teams. In DS2 terms this meant that they only had weapons that
could be used in a Close Assault. In SG2 terms, it meant pistols. In
SG2, I would imagine that the other team(s) in the unit would support
the Heavy Weapons team with AARs and a SAW.

The GMS/H was too heavy to be carried by infantry.