Prev: RE: [FT] Earthforce Sourcebook - Babylon Project Next: Re: [FT] Savasku Pods

DS2/SG2 harminization - replies to Brian and Andrew

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 03:34:08 -0400
Subject: DS2/SG2 harminization - replies to Brian and Andrew

Re snipers:
Andrew, your interpretation seems to represent
only the snipers with a HAMR. Many sniper
teams do not use a HAMR (they are heavy,
aren't probably as accurate for mid range
shooting, and probably can't be silenced though
I'm not positive on that last). Most teams use
something like the US M-24 (I think that's the
new one) which is a modified Remington 700.
An excellent weapon. In the future, I can see
Gauss rifles and Laser rifles being used. Sniper
ops can involve taking out material targets
(transformers, AA assets, etc) but they can
involve the simple task of removing enemy
snipers, enemy units blocking an advance in
built up terrain or fortifications, and for pinning
an enemy that is advancing towards you. And
they do kill valuable junior officers and noncoms.

I'm going to think about combining some of what
you wrote with some of what I wrote, since we
both appear to have part of the puzzle.

I'm not sure there is any reason to suggest that
a HAVR/HAMR is capable of shooting 1.5x that
of an APSW. I think the longest sniper shot on
record I'm aware of (By Carlos Hatchock,
multiple shots required, using a sandbagged .50
M2HB) was well over 1200m, but I think most
military sniping is actually conducted (even AM
stuff) at 100-400m (with preference on 100m if
you can get that close). I hadn't realized the SF
snipers liked to shoot from that close, but as Los
pointed out to me, beyond that, windage and
movement of target etc. start to introduce a
decent chance of a miss. You _can_ make
800m shots, but it is hardly SOP.

My reason for suggesting dummy counters can't
move is that I don't think hidden snipers in SG2
can.....

As for how a sniper team plays on the game....
they'd usually be an attachment at (at the
minimum) company level, but more likely
battalion. A battalion might have 3-6 2 man
teams. But sniper ops really fall into a variety of
categories depending on the operational
doctrine of the force using them. In some cases,
like the French, they stick "marksmen" (which
aren't really full fledged snipers) in their line
squads. In other cases, like some of the US
Marine Divisions in Vietnam, the snipers were
given lots of independence and ran their own
missions quite often with other support elements
to support them (a squad for security and
sometimes air and arty on call - snipers make
good spotters).

I'd think in the DS2 model, they'd be attached
directly to the battlegroup commander, thus
justifying them as a whole separate unit on the
board, and probably you would not see more
than 2 or 3 teams present _at_most_ because
the forces on a DS2 board tend to be company
or reinforced company size, rarely reaching
battalion size. Plus that freedom frees them from
unit integrity issues with other units, which is
good given they'll be able to fire over a fair
distance thus they can stay outside of enemy
infantry fire range.

Re Brians comments on GMS/P:
I get the impression from Oerjan (unless he
cares to pipe up) that a GMS/P has about the
same warhead as GMS/L, only the sighting and
propulsion behind it is different. Ergo range is
probably the big factor (I'd bet many shoulder
fired missiles can't reach 2400m due to the
inability to target or the lack of fuel). I'd be
tempted to keep the range to 18". 24" makes
them very dangerous. Anyone know what the
range for a Javelin is today? The problem here
is that even with some improvement in propellent
technology, you've still go the weight/size trade
off (vs. range) that makes a GMS/P a normal
squad weapon. For longer range, you NEED the
Heavy Weapon because it contains the fuel!

So we have (or should probalby have):

IAVR	short range (400-600m), punchy (2
chits), immune to ECM or EW (but should be
stoppable by PDS according to Oerjan). Troop
can carry multiples of these and use them for
close in tank defence.

GMS/P  longer range (1800m), punchy (2
chits), affected by ECM, PDS, ADS and EW.
Troop can put one of these in a big squad and
fire it in place of squad fire (like an IAVR) but
has limited shots. Can also be put in two man
teams.

GMS/L  real long range (3600m) (for infantry...
still only middling for vehicle range weaponry),
punchy (3 chits), affected by ECM, PDS, ADS,
EW. Troop can have one of these with tripod in
place of normal infantry weapons (retain close
in defence weapons). Limited shots. Can't really
be put in a normal rifle squad as an "alternate
weapon" as it is just a bit too big (as is the
ammo).

Yes, I agree GMS/P should be limited in number
of shots (3 or 4) and that they should be
affected by PDS and ECM and ADS etc. I'd
suggest the 2 man GMS/P team I suggested with
4 shots should probably cost 10/15/20 (for
various guidance levels). This little team would
only take 3 HTK and have close combat only
weapons.

Putting a GMS/P into a normal rifle squad (with
say 4 shots) might add another 5/10/15 to the
cost of the rifle team (expensive, but you're
getting a team capable of GMS fire, IAVR fire,
squad rifle fire, and close combat).

As for EW, you make a couple of good points in
terms of limiting range (12" in DS2 is fine with
me) and in saying that you should have to see a
GMS shot fired to jam it (though I note this is
_NOT_ a requirement in SG2 - justification being
I guess the prevalent nature of sensors on the
battlefield). I'll look at cobbling something
together with this input you've given me shortly.

Then of course, post it so the lions can rip at it. :)

Prev: RE: [FT] Earthforce Sourcebook - Babylon Project Next: Re: [FT] Savasku Pods