Prev: Re: [FT] Cheap Spaceships Next: Re: DS2/SG2 harmonization

DS2/SG2 harmonization

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 15:05:53 -0400
Subject: DS2/SG2 harmonization

In an effort to harmonize my DS2 and SG2
games, I'm working out a TO&E that works well
in both. Consequently, I've also had some other
thoughts about DS2, to which some list members
might have a response.

Has anyone experimented with modifying
infantry fire to be more unit quality oriented (a la
SG2). I realize whether you get effective fire or
not is a leadership and unit quality effect. But in
SG2, fire ranges are determined from unit
quality (and weapon to some limited extent). A
green unit in SG2 is effective out to about 240m
and an elite out to about 600m. In DS2, this all
boils down to either 400m with normal rifles or
600m with advanced combat rifles. Anyone tried
factoring unit quality into range determination for
infantry?

Also, another thought: GMS/P. I've seen some
rules on it that (I think) said something to the
effect that cost was 10/15/20, range was 18"
(unofficial of course), and it drew one chit. Is
one chit an effective attack in DS2? In SG2, it
rolls d12 (doubling if a major hit is scored). A
GMS/L rolls 2d12 (doubling if a major hit is
scored). So there is some argument to suggest
a GMS/P might realistically draw 2 chits.
Something tells me the difference between one
chit and two in efficacy is startling.	Comments?

Has anyone done any kind of rules to handle
anything like a command transfer? (Hence
making a platoon command infantry stand
somewhat akin to as valuable as it is in SG)

Anyone done EW rules? (So I can get some
use out of having an EW soldier in my
command stand)

And anyone have any idea how to handle PA
with things like point fire railguns? Or, if we
assume that PA stands are (int he normal game)
presumed to include such monster anti-armour
weapons, how do we handle PA stands that don't
have such firepower? (my answer would be as
normal infantry with advanced rifles).

It is also interesting to note how fast PA is. In
SG2, its about 2 x as fast as infantry. In DS2, its
3 x as fast. Yikes. I guess this reflects the fact
the speed is being provided by the armour and
the troopie probably isn't doing all that much
work so he can maintain his high speed for far
longer than a foot infantryman, thus giving a
much greater large-scale movement rate.

Anyone thought about how to handle a sniper
stand in DS2?

Anyway, those are my musings/questions for
now.

Prev: Re: [FT] Cheap Spaceships Next: Re: DS2/SG2 harmonization