Prev: DS2: Construction System Idea Next: [FT] LoGH Re: [LST] Modelling

Re: [LST] Modelling RE: DS - OT - Cross Genre Designs

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 18:21:22 +0100
Subject: Re: [LST] Modelling RE: DS - OT - Cross Genre Designs

----- Original Message -----
From: <devans@uneb.edu>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2001 4:52 PM
Subject: [LST] Modelling RE: DS - OT - Cross Genre Designs

> ***
> Karl brings up an interesting point in his reply. Too often I have had
> people tell me my designs are wrong because "that's not how [insert
any
> Sci-Fi
> fictional tech here] works".
> ***

Hints of S$*R T%^K here. If anybody knows a trekkie (dought anybody
doesn`t), you`ll know what I mean.

> While I was also confused, for a bit, by David's choice of words, I
came
> pretty much understand he meant what he later showed in his
clarification.
> Part of the problem is that I'm more familiar with the term 'mech' as
> generic anime' rather than specifically Battletech, of course.

The term used for anime is MECHA. Mechs for battletech (short for
battlemech(anoids?)), mecha for anime (never hear anime mecha called
anything but mecha).

> Yes, you may have your own 'world mechanics', but it's perfectly
> understandable trying to model a particular genre, series,
whathaveyou.

> I can't help in this particular discussion, as I'm a) a vac-head, b)
mostly
> unfamiliar with Battletech, but my wrestling, so far unsuccessfully,
with
> trying to do Legends of Galactic Heroes in FTII, certainly causes me
> admire his attempt. ;->=
>
> The_Beast
>
> -Douglas J. Evans, curmudgeon
>
> One World, one Web, one Program - Microsoft promotional ad
> Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer - Adolf Hitler

A legins of galatic heros adaptation eh? That would be interesting to
here
about. Anybody else interested in hearing how he`s doing?

BIF

"Yorkshire born, yorkshire bred,
strong in arms, thick in head"

Prev: DS2: Construction System Idea Next: [FT] LoGH Re: [LST] Modelling