Prev: Re: Origins Game Con Next: Re: Origins Game Con

Re: Origins Game Con

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 20:09:47 -0400
Subject: Re: Origins Game Con

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 19:11:07 -0400, "stranger" <stranger@cvn.net> wrote:

>Hmmm, GenCon would be nice, but since Origins is only a 4-6 hour drive
from
>us, much cheaper in the long run.  WI is just a tad too far to drive on
>limited vacation time.

Roleplaying was the main reason I went traipsing to GenCon, even though
Origins was a bit closer.

Origins was very much into miniatures years past. I've heard rumours
that
Historicon, the big HMGS sponsored historical miniatures convention, was
direct result of Origins not giving free entry to a bunch of historical
referees.

Origins is still much more of a historical miniatures convention than
GenCon.
Historicals have been slowly dying the death at GenCon. On the other
hand,
fantasy and scifi miniatures games are pretty strong at GenCon. Origins
seems
to be pretty much the opposite.

The issue with these cons is that they are run by volunteers. The only
way to
get the games played is to have volunteers run them. The best way to do
this
is to have someone organize people to attend the con and do a block of
games.
This isn't difficult, but it does require some running around. Oh, yeah,
and
knowing people who would run a game or three!

Don't take the lack of games as a lack of interest, though. GenCon would
suggest that Full Thrust is the dominant game and that no one is playing
historicals...

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,

Prev: Re: Origins Game Con Next: Re: Origins Game Con