Prev: Re: DS II: Combat Walkers Next: Re: [FT] WotW #7 Holofields

Re: FT-Battleships

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:52:08 +0100
Subject: Re: FT-Battleships

In message <001301c0caf7$9c49f7c0$bbc2893e@inty>
	  "Bif Smith" <bif@bifsmith.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> This is another repost because I didn`t get it back, so sorry if you
get
> this twice.
>
> I was just watching the battleships program, and I had a this thought
about
> a battleship design about building a dreadnought style warship. My
thinknig
> is to build turret into a warship, which would be fitted with single
arc
> weapons. These turrets would be able to traverse a 5 arc radis, but
would
> also be able to be destroyed separately from the ship itself. These
turrets
> would be built just like miniture ships, with their own hull and
armour,
> which would be counted towards the total mass of the ship. For the
purpose
> of taking dammage, I would use a die roll to see which turret incoming
fire
> would hit. This is just a rough idea (VERY rough) at the moment, I
have put
> forward to see if anybody has any other ideas that may help me (no, I
will
> not nick them <G>).

[snip example]

> BIF
>  "yorkshire born,yorkshire bred,
>  strong in arms, thick in head"
>
> PS-This idea would be very powerful if used with high class K-guns.
Probably
> would require a arc to specify the turret will be pointing.

As an alternative idea, we could 'nick' the Vree turret concept from B5
wars - and modify accordingly -

thus:

Turret (Class 1 to lots)

This system can contain any number of sub-systems whose total mass does
not exceed the class of turret.
The sub-systems are usually 1-arc weapons, but can include any system
(only worth it for limited arc systems).

The turret system is represented by a circle enclosing the sub-systems.

In play, the facing of each turret must be selected and noted during the
'write orders' phase (facing is 1 of the 6 arcs) - this facing then
becomes the facing of the sub-systems for the remainder of the turn.

The turret is susceptable to threshold checks as normal - if it fails a
check - it is jammed in its current position until fixed - sub-systems
roll thresholds separately.

Armour and structure of turret are figured as part of hull (for
simplicity).

MASS = Turret Class/4 for 3-arc travers, Class/2 for 5-arc traverse.
This does not include the MASS of the sub-systems - which must be paid
for separately.

COST = MASS x2 (does not include sub-systems)

MASS and COST values are open to discussion :-)

Your example using this system:

Mass=300
Cost=1090 (if fitted with K5 bats)
DP=60
Armour=10
FTL=30
Drive (T=4)=60
FC x4
Screens x2
PDS x6
5-arc Turrets Class 22 (x4)=12 mass each.
Each Turret contains:
  K-5 x2 (22 MASS)

Ok, your version is cheaper - maybe my turrets should be cheaper?

Charles

Prev: Re: DS II: Combat Walkers Next: Re: [FT] WotW #7 Holofields