Prev: Re: deja posting was Re: More Club100 Ghurkas at Eureka Next: RE: Stepped squad casualties in SG2

Re: deja posting was Re: More Club100 Ghurkas at Eureka

From: devans@u...
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:37:02 -0500
Subject: Re: deja posting was Re: More Club100 Ghurkas at Eureka

***
The "deja.com lists" you refer to are *not* a part of, or owned
by, deja.com.

Deja provided a web-based front end on the lists, and hosted
archives and advertising. These "lists" are properly called
"Usenet newsgroups" and date back about (at least) ten years
before there was a "browser" to read the "world-wide web" with.
The messages on newsgroups ("news") is passed around using a
protocol called NNTP and is stored on NNTP servers. (You've
probably noticed that the Web uses HTTP, it's at the beginning of
every web address, or URL.)
***

Heavy on the 'at least'. I'm pretty certain I was reading Usenet by '86
or
'87. Reading from a mainframe account(VM) at that. And, didn't look new
me then.

Is Gopher still an option? ;->=

However, I already tried explaining this, and it sounds like Glenn's
service may well not have a news server for him to attach to. Still,
worth
it to him to ask.

Prev: Re: deja posting was Re: More Club100 Ghurkas at Eureka Next: RE: Stepped squad casualties in SG2