Prev: Re: Small squads/random losses Next: Re: House rules?

Re: [FT] Conquest 2001 FT results

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:51:25 +0200
Subject: Re: [FT] Conquest 2001 FT results

Robertson, Brendan wrote:

>1.	Cinematic
>2.	Yes, speed *55*

I *am* impressed <g>

>3.	He played with them all piled up in the one stack, so I only had
1
>point of the board to try and get.  The class-1 K-guns paid for
themselves
>this game.

<chuckle> Yes, I'd imagine so...

>He was always asking whether my fighters were leaving screening
>duty before placing any PBLs.

Hm? Non-screening fighters always move before PB launch; screening
fighters move together with their ships, so he needn't really have
asked... OK, you could have made your fighters stop in place while the
ships forged ahead :-/

>The one time I did, I was at range 25 & had to use the full 12
secondary to >get out of the 20 PBLs he placed to kill *1* fighter
squadron!

<chuckle>

>The one time the squadron did attack, I used secondary movement to
>leave screening and did... 3 damage total.  They were KV fighters that
>don't get re-rolls, so I don't know why he panicked about the fighters
so >much.

I do. I too think he over-reacted - given how fast he was flying (and
the absence of rules for a fighter "Remora move" to follow enemy ships
like you can follow your own ships by screening them) your fighters
wouldn't have gotten more than one attack in before he left them far
behind - but aside from his extreme velocity but those fighters were a
quite serious threat to his ships. When each of your ships only has 5
damage points taking 3 of them can be quite scary, even if 2 of them
are armour - and 3 damage was below average even for Kra'Vak fighters
:-/

The Phuuns only have one Pulser each - covering the front 180 arc only,
and no ADFC. Unless your fighters obliged by attacking his ships from
ahead his *only* way of harming those fighters was the PBLs. Given how
very fragile his ships were, he couldn't use the PBLs when the fighters
attacked a ship - otherwise he'd risk destroying or crippling his
entire fleet.

So, he had to hit the fighters with plasma before they got in among his
ships. Unfortunately for him fighters have secondary moves (so can get
away if the plasma covers too small an "area"), so he had to spread the
plasma out as much as possible; but they are *also* able to shoot down
plasma bolts - a full-strength KV fighter squadron has a 67% chance of
destroying a strength-1 PB before it explodes - so in order to ensure a
kill he had to hit the squadron with at least *two* PBs... ie., he had
to cover the entire area within 12mu of those fighters with at least 2
points of PB in every spot :-/

What Pulser tunings did he use, BTW? (Probably didn't matter that much
- I suspect that your ships spent most of the battle in his rear 180
arc anyway - but it'd be interesting to know.)

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: Small squads/random losses Next: Re: House rules?