Prev: Re: Final Fantasy Next: Re: (OT) Pearl Harbor was; Re: Final Fantasy

Re: (OT) Pearl Harbor was; Re: Final Fantasy

From: "Los" <los@c...>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 04:00:40 -0400
Subject: Re: (OT) Pearl Harbor was; Re: Final Fantasy

----- Original Message -----
From: Derek Fulton <derekfulton@bigpond.com>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2001 9:15 AM

> Read the article and I'm yet to see anyone put forward a 'Japanese'
> character of note. It's important to remember that the American movie
> industry makes films for AMERICA and other markets are just a bonus.
In
> fact it just confirmed my suspicions of the makers using the 'Titanic'
> factor, some of the posters I have seen suggest it and the article
confirms
> it. To me it suggests the makers of the film don't have a high opinion
of
> the target audience.

NOTE: <g> This has nothing to do with Derek or anyone...

I find myself constantly amused whenever Hollywood makes a war movie (be
it
SPR or anything) that everyone starts whining about being
Amero-centric.
(Dammit there were other nations at Normandy!)

Well how about getting some of these other countries off their asses and
make some of their own World War 2 movies! (And yes I scour the net for
any
foreign war flicks and own plenty of good ones but nothing too recent
unfortunately.) We'll be all the richer in good war movies for it. I,
for
one, as a war movie aficionado would sure appreciate it.

Some areas for good war movies I could think of:

Hey Japan make a decent War movie covering some of your early war
infantry
actions, Burma or Singapore would be nice. (Or how about Okinawa from
the
Japanese view.

Hey Germany I know you've done your part to crank out some good flicks
lately but how about covering the battles I'm most interested in, the
air
assault on Crete! (Though I'd settle for Cassino.) In fact you can make
the
film in concert with Greece, New Zealand and Australia. (If you pool
your
money you can afford to make enough Ju52s or the technology to CGI
them.)

Hey Canada, get of your ass and give us a good Vimy Ridge picture, or
better
yet, a tear jerker about the that town in Newfoundland (IIRC) that lost
most
of it's male population in one action. (I know those are WW1 actions.)

Hey Italy, hmm ok I guess we'll have to go back to Roman times for you
guys,
somebody make a flick down there about the greatest general that ever
was:
Scipio Africanus.

Finland, keep up the good work. (Winter War plus they just released a
new
one.)

France, lets see, we gotta go back a skosh for you guys too. I'd settle
for
a decent Franco- Prussian War epic. Or better yet, how about the
adventures
of "Baron de Marbot", that guy was the heat.

Russia, I know you guys have a ton of good war movies from the old days
when
it was the duty of every filmaker to make one decent Great Patriotic War
epic to show his props, (reference Come and See). Have Putin find out
which
Robber Baron owns the rights to all of them and rerelease. Other than
that a
good Afghantistan movie of "Platoon" or "Hamburger Hill", or "FMJ"
caliber
might be nice.

China you guys are set for now. (Just saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden
Dragon--outstanding)

Texas how about something about et massacre of teh 36th ID between
crossing
the Rapidao and Cassino. You know, a whole "Mark Clark was incompetent"
motif.

Of yes and lets not forget The Perfidious Albion. Perhaps something from
your glorious past, ala a new LRDG film, or better yet hows about a new
Trafalgar flick. Or something about Haig. Or better yet the BEF at Mons.

Note: Or all you slackers can pool or your resources and make a decent
Rot
Hafen Epic.

Los <g>

p.s. I agree that one should bnot set their hopes very high for Pearl
Harbor, (I'll reserve that for Band of Brothers) though anything with
WW2
airplanes in it becomes a must see for me.

Prev: Re: Final Fantasy Next: Re: (OT) Pearl Harbor was; Re: Final Fantasy