Prev: Re: [FT] Fighter Counters Next: [OT] Weapon load-out pictures?

RE: FT-Some of bifs ramblings

From: "Dean Gundberg" <Dean.Gundberg@n...>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:17:01 -0500
Subject: RE: FT-Some of bifs ramblings

> Bad, very bad.
>
> Right now average damage for a torpedo fighter is 3.5, roll a
> d6 once.

Actually FB2 modifies this so Torp Fighters hit on a 3+ then then do
damage
equal to the roll of the die when a hit is scored (ie 4, 5 or 6 points).
 So
average damage PER HIT it 5 points of damage, but you only hit 50% of
the
time, so average damage PER SHOT it 2.5 points

> The way you want to do it you are bringing in bell curves.

True, BIFs idea will result in far fewer occurances of the maximum 6
points
of damage but will result in more occurances of at least a single point
of
damage.

> You roll two dice the most common roll is going to be
> a 7 (6 out of 36) for a damage of 1.	1 in 6 is going to
> be 1 point damage, sounds the same so far, however...

Well if the dice end up 6 and 1 then 3 points are scored using a d6-3
damage.  The individual rolls still are more important than the total.
Per
hit average for this mechanic is 2 points, per shot average is 1 point,
but
you now get 2 shots so double the results and it ends up a bit less than
powerful than the current FB2 version of Torp fighters (and a bit more
powerful than the More Thrust Version - 3.5 ave/damage per hit, 1.75
ave/damage per shot)

> You chance of doing 6 points damage is 1 in 36 as apposed
> to the original 1 in 6.  As a matter of fact you have a
> 15 in 36 or roughly a 42% chance of no damage.  It's not
> worth the struggle to get those fighters in to have 42% of
> their shots go ping.

But then current currently torp fighters miss 50% of the time but with
the 2
shots at d6-3 mechanic, both shots miss only 25% of the time.

I think you are using the d6-3 only as the damage roll where BIF is
suggesting it be used for both the to-hit and the damage roll (1-3 is a
miss, 4-6 is a hit with damage equal to the result minus 3)

Dean Gundberg

Starship Combat News
The latest information on Space Games and Miniatures
http://star_ranger.homestead.com/

Prev: Re: [FT] Fighter Counters Next: [OT] Weapon load-out pictures?