Prev: RE: Toys from Jane's... Next: RE: Toys from Jane's...

Re: Toys from Jane's...

From: Shawn M Mininger <smininger@y...>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:53:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Toys from Jane's...

I spent a bit of time as a grunt in the US Marine
Corp.  I can tell you that the M203 grenade launcher
(20mm grenade luancher mounted under the M-16) is very
common.  M249 SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon) Machine Gun
and the M-60 are very common in reinforced platoons.
Flame throwers are not as common anymore in my
experience, heck, I've never really used them....seen
them used, but never really used them.	Carbine
versions of the M-16 are fairly common.  Shotguns are
common.... unofficially.... in that a quite few of us
tended to bring them along.  Light anti-tank weapons
are fairly common as well (things like the AT-4, the
Dragon Missle is a whole different MOS.)

--- Brian Burger <yh728@victoria.tc.ca> wrote:
> I was skimming Jane's Infantry Weapons the other
> day, and came upon some
> interesting weaponry, toys and gadgets for SG2...
>
> Several companies have shotgun sets, designed to fit
> under a standard
> assault rifle in place of a 40mm grenade launcher -
> I noticed kits to fit
> shotguns to M16s & the Austrian AUG. I'm pretty sure
> they aren't
> autoshotguns, but it's still a shotgun were you
> might not expect one.
>
> In SG2 terms, I'd call it a regular FP2 assault
> rifle, with an FP2
> close-only shotgun added - no grenade launcher,
> obviously. Cutting the
> shotgun back to FP2 seems to make sense, when it's
> not a full-sized
> automatic combat shotgun. It would count as a
> shotgun in CC, though.
>
> Comments?
>
> There's lots of other gadgets, but most of them fit
> into existing rules
> mechanics in SG2. Some of the engineering tools I'd
> like to write into
> Stargrunt at some point. Too bad Full Metal Atkinson
> just signed off
> again...
>
> Just out of curiosity, could one of the real
> military types on the list
> give us an idea how widespread some of these things
> are? The US has an
> incendiandary (sp?) rocket in a manpack
> quad-launcher that's listed as "In
> Service"; along with conventional flamethrowers and
> similar, but how
> common is this kit in the field? Any interesting
> devices that I've missed
> that don't make the news much?
>
> Later,
>
> Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -
> - http://warbard.iwarp.com/games.html -

=====
Thank You,

Shawn M Mininger

Prev: RE: Toys from Jane's... Next: RE: Toys from Jane's...