Prev: Re: [SG] FAQ request? Next: RE: Terrain

Re: [FT] WotW #7 Holofields

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 00:35:49 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] WotW #7 Holofields

----- Original Message -----
From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@cableol.co.uk>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2001 7:19 PM

<6B3C0EEAB4FED3119F5F009027DC5E9E01D72FD5@spacemsg3.jhuapl.edu>
>	    "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@jhuapl.edu> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > Holofield (T) [Aaron Teske] (Spacefleet converstion page)
> >
> > Holofields make all rolls to hit an equipped ship subtract 1 from
the
number
> > rolled, but do not affect the damage
> > caused by the attack. For example, if a standard pulse torpedo is
fired
on a
> > ship 15" away, the torpedo usually
> > hits on a 4+. If the target has holofields, the torpedo needs a 5+
hit.
> > Against salvo missiles, one less missile
> > will target the Holofield-equipped ship from each salvo. Holofields
> > effectively count as level 1 screens against
> > beam weapons. Only one Holofield may be installed on a ship. A
Holofield
> > takes up 4 MASS, or 7% of the ship's
> > MASS, whichever is greater, and costs 3 points per MASS of the
field.

> > Comments:
> > (Oerjan) Better than the other Holofield (SB) variant.
> >

> > Noam
> > ---
>
> Further thoughts and queries - Does it have any adverse effect on the
> firing of the ships own weapons? (probably not).
>
> The restriction of only one per ship is probably not necessary - just
> state that they are not cumulative.
> However, are they cumulative with screens or vapour shrouds - I'd say
> NO, just for the sake of simplicity!
>
> MASS and COST - well, as written it has the protective power of a
> level 1 screen against beam-type weapons, it also protects against
> k-guns, lance pods, and pulse torpedoes, and provides some protection
> from Salvo Missiles.
> However, unlike a level 1 screen it provides no defence from Plasma
> Bolts (not actually stated, but from the PSB I'd say that it would not
> provide any protection).
>
> Charles

Sounds logical to me. But would the advantages as a level 1 screen
against
everything except plasma bolts balance out it`s advantages against
weapons
that curently ignore screens? My feeling is it would require a mass
sligtly
higher than a sheild/screen, btu couldn`t be used with sheilds active at
the
same time (psb-the emmisions from the sheild cancell the advantages from
the
holofeild).

BIF
 "yorkshire born,yorkshire bred,
 strong in arms, thick in head"

Prev: Re: [SG] FAQ request? Next: RE: Terrain