Prev: Re: [FT] WotW #7 Holofields Next: [SG] FAQ request?

[OT] Block games was Re: FMA Battalion

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 22:49:31 +0200
Subject: [OT] Block games was Re: FMA Battalion

Roger Books wrote:

>Are the block games at Columbia worth playing?  I've been curious, but
>at the price I hate to just jump.

Joining the choir here:

Yes, they're definitely worth playing. Fast playing, simple rules which
give a surprising lot of detail (thanks to the blocks) - someone
described them as "90% of the detail with 10% of the rules", and that
probably underestimates the level of detail at least in the WW2 games
(East Front and all its siblings, and Pacific Victory).

Rules for (at least) three of the games - Wizard Kings (fantasy),
Victory (WW2 combat on non-historical maps) and Pacific Victory (WW2 in
the Pacific and Indian Oceans) - are available for download on their
homepage www.columbiagames.com. I found some of the rules tricky to
understand without the other components (and it's those other bitz that
make the games expensive), but at least you get an idea of what you'll
get.

"It is 1943. All of Australia has been conquered by the Japanese. All?
No! A small village on the west cost is still holding out..."
- sitrep from the Pacific Victory game currently occupying my gaming
table :-) (OK, so Perth isn't exactly a small village <g>)

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: [FT] WotW #7 Holofields Next: [SG] FAQ request?