Prev: Increasingly [OT] was Re: FMA Battalion Next: Re: Terrain

Re: Terrain

From: Tony Christney <tchristney@h...>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 08:57:48 -0700
Subject: Re: Terrain

As Tony Francis said, Geo-Hex makes styrofoam hex terrain. However,
GHQ (http://www.ghqmodels.com/terrainmaker.htm) makes a system
called terrain maker, which may be the one you seek.

Comparison:
Geo-Hex:
Large hexes, mostly plain surfaces.
Slopes are done by making partial hexes.
Pre-finished out of the box.
Fast, easy set-up
Looks good with many mini scales

Terrain Maker
Much smaller hex size than Geo-Hex
Slopes are carved out of the foam.
Unfinished (takes many hours to make a playable set...)
Small hex sizes take much longer to set up.
 From a distance, looks very realistic.
Looks best used with 6 mm.
Can be hard to get 1/2" sheets of polystyrene.

Personally, I prefer the visual appearance of Terrain Maker,
but I wish the hexes were just a bit bigger, maybe 6". One
thing I really like, is that because Terrain Maker spreads
slope out over the whole hex, you could have an entire
table with no flat areas, if you wanted to. I do feel that
the default Terrain Maker hexes do not scale to anything
other than 6 mm.

If you plan on DIY, I would probably buy one terrain maker
pack, for no other reason than to get the booklet on how
to cut the different hex "kernels." I would then scale the
hex sides to 6"-8".

>I seem to recall seeing bags of styrofoam hexes at a gaming
>store in Houston.  Would anyone know who the manufacturer
>or a sales point for these are?  I have recently discovered
>the joys of a "wonder-cutter" and flocking but would like
>to be able to do hex based stuff.
>
>I'm planning on using this with SG, so it is almost on-topic. :)
>
>Roger
>

>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

HTH,
--

Prev: Increasingly [OT] was Re: FMA Battalion Next: Re: Terrain