Prev: Re: painting services? Next: Re: painting services?

Re: [OT] Maps

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 20:53:06 EDT
Subject: Re: [OT] Maps

Just  to confuse everyone - Maps are referred to as large scale, small
scale, and for the undecided some are called medium scale (but not by
me...)	 but because of the representative fraction (1:100,000;
1:25,000;
1:2 Million; 1:10,000 etc.) is just that (a fraction) if you want a
large
piece of ground on a map (Say Global Navigation Chart for the long range
transport planes) you need a small scale map and if you want a small
piece of ground (say a 1:25,000 Topographical Line Map for the grunts on
the ground) you need to order a large scale map.  Giving a patrol in
Stargrunt 2 a 1:1 million map is only slightly less useful then a map
showing the whole planet on a 8.5" x 11" piece of stock.  I mean if they
are not already sure which planet they are on...

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001 15:59:46 -0700 Tony Christney <tchristney@home.com>
writes:
>>I'm getting a couple of companies of gropos and have been looking for
>>a place to use them.	Lo and behold, you can get free topographic
>maps
>>online at www.topozone.com .	Maps come in small, medium and
>>large--"large" is about 750K.  I've just downloaded a 1:25,000 scale
>>map which covers the area around my parents' farm, converted one tile
>>to bmp and expanded it, and now have a topo map for an area about
>300m
>>square--perfect for SG.
>
>If you have access to a GIS package, you can get digital elevation
>models of the US from
>http://edc.usgs.gov/doc/edchome/ndcdb/ndcdb.html
>
>These allow you to build a 3D model of the topography. Or you
>could print out contours, cut them out of polystyrene, stack them
>together, and defend your home town against the Kra'Vak...
>
>All at the precise 1" = 100m scale of DS2...
>
>Just a thought
>Tony Christney
>--
>
>Tony Christney

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: painting services? Next: Re: painting services?