Prev: RE: [DS] Heavy Weapon Teams [SG] Laser weapons Next: RE: [DS2] Technoid Walkers

Re: [DS] Heavy Weapon Teams [SG] Laser weapons

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 08:35:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [DS] Heavy Weapon Teams [SG] Laser weapons

--- Chris Downes-Ward <cdownes-ward@9a.co.uk> wrote:

> that infantry could carry any non-energy using size
> one weapon > effectively DFFG/1 and RFAC/1 IIRC as
well as > APSW's, GMS/L and > Light Artillery. So the
questions are:

OK, I'm with you.  Especially powered armor--I've got
an elite drop troop regiment that uses DFFG/1s as
support weapons.

> How realistic is the idea of a small team (say 3
> troopers) > humping around a 20mm Auto cannon and
enough ammo to > make it > worthwhile?

The cannon, no problem.  The problem is ammo for an
automatic weapon.  I wish I had some of my books that
give weight of modern 20mm ammo, but it's not light
and if you use it automatic you'll run into problems
soon.  I could see a jeep hauling around a 20mm cannon
on the bed, dropping it off with a bunch of ammo, then
hiding in the woodline.  No problem.  But not light
infantry.

> Is light artillery the way to model a mortar team?
> How many
> markers should they carry?

Yup.  I generally do 3.  But I also generally haul
them around in jeeps as well.

> I could model these as say FP2 but high impact say
> D10 with the
> support lasers as a HEL/1 but how about a HEL/0.5?
> what would it's
> stats be?

Naah. . . I'd go for FP3 impact d6 tunable down to
FP2/d8 or FP1/d10.  That's based on my experience with
Traveller lasers--they can do either single pulses or
break them up into a _lot_ of pulses that do very
little penetration.

John

Prev: RE: [DS] Heavy Weapon Teams [SG] Laser weapons Next: RE: [DS2] Technoid Walkers