Prev: RE: Close Assaullt Next: Re: What happens if...

Re: [OT] Digital Cameras

From: agoodall@c...
Date: 5 Apr 2001 14:05:27 -0700
Subject: Re: [OT] Digital Cameras

On Wed, 04 April 2001, Derk Groeneveld wrote:

> So could you explain what link you are trying to suggest
> between resolution and ISO here? Or am I misreading it?

Technically, you are very correct. But there is a connection between ISO
and grain size, which translates to resolution. But, yes, a good quality
ISO 400 professional film can have a similar grain size (and, thus,
resolution) to ISO 100 consumer film.

We won't even GO into colour saturation...

> Oh, one more thing... When comparing digital camera's to SLR's, be
aware
> that digital camera's use only approx. half of the field of view for a
> given optic. So for wide angle shots, you need twice as 'wide' a lense
for
> digital camera's (14mm digital camera gets the same result as a 28mm
focal
> length SLR)

THANK YOU!!! That was the missing piece of the puzzle. I was reading up
on digital cameras and seeing "equivlanet to 37mm SLR lens" stats, and
wondered why it was only "equivalent" to an SLR lens. I was wondering
why it wasn't using the same focal length. Now you've answered my
question!

> Are there any digital camera's in the 400 ASA range yet?

I think so. There's a new Nikon/Kodak hybrid out right now that my
brother says is very fast (for a digital). He's a professional
photographer, specializing in hockey. Hockey arenas are dark (believe it
or not, even with TV lights) and the action is fast. He seems to think
he could use this digital under those circumstances. I believe he
usually uses 400 or 800 speed film, pushed to between 800 and 1600 ISO.

Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com

Prev: RE: Close Assaullt Next: Re: What happens if...