Prev: Re: The Tonk Project Next: Re: FT-Fighters and SG-aliens

Re: Kh'iff

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 08:54:48 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: Kh'iff

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Beth Fulton wrote:

> G'day Derk,
>
>  >Oh, and got to beat Ozzies around the head with a sword ;)
>
> Now was that a greater highlight than the HUmpbacks? ;P

Mmm. Tough one! Well... I get to beat a kiwi around the ehad with a
sword,
very regularly, and that's almost as good as beating up Ozzies... So I
guess it will have to be the humpback.

(look at

http://cc5127-a.deven1.ov.nl.home.com/~derk/pictures/vakantie/australie/

if you're interested in the humpback pics :) )

 >  >Whoops. I think I woke up a
biologist? ;) >  >I was mainly thinking that, under stress
>  >situations, they'd look to their pack for support?
>
> Yes, but it depends on what you're defining as the pack. Is it the
basic
> squad (which is about the size of most successful mammalian hunting
packs)
> or some larger unit of organisation?

I was thinking platoon?

>  >Mmm. What did you think of the 'takes up
>  >one action of outcast and leader, if within
>  >x inches' suggestion, made earlier?
>
> It works with the PSB that they are ex-leaders and thus maybe not so
> innocent in their reasons for wanting to join a squad.

Mmm. Driven out, have to hunt for themselves -> snipers? Works for me.

>  >Yes, I like this suggestion. 9 inches sound fair?
>  >Or should it be more to your mind?
>
> 9" should probably work.

Roger that.

>  >Mmm. Sounds like fun, but also sounds
>  >like it could be a good bit of work.
>
> There is that problem.

And one of the nice things about SG is minimum bookkeeping. Now to hide
those counters...

>  >Something else I was thinking about;
>  >maybe a deceased leader should result
>  >in two suppression markers instead of one,
>  >as the pack sorts out who's the boss now?
>
> The logic is good, but I'm not sure how it'd go in the game as
suppressions
> are such a critical thing. I'd try it and see.

Yup. then again, so are leaders ;) I'll give it a go and see.

>  >Do you think an extra table for
>  >dealing with terrain types is called
>  >for? (What is difficult terrain, what
>  >is rough terrain, etc, for them?)
>
> Not really, there's no real difference in the relative grades of
terrain to
> humans and canines...it'd be different if you were doing a hoofed
animal or
> something.

Okay...

>  >Hmmm. I didn't want to make them
>  >close combat monsters, too much. Seems
>  >too easy to give this to anything that looks alien.
>
> That's because it still our most deep seated fear...born of the days
when
> that was what we had to watch out for ;)

True, true...

>  >On the other hand, a case CAN be made for it.
>
> Yep it is what you get for playing a canine alien race... we tend to
> associate canines with close combat.

Then again, these look more like your average track-dog than like a
pitbull...

>  >As for the 'seeing another cquad go in',
>  >I'm more leaning towards tweaking
>  >the weight of numbers, here.
>
> Cool.

I'll try and post a summary of all the ideas, later today.

Cheers,

   Derk
Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine

iD8DBQE6zBa9JXH58oo6ncURAtfXAJ47ayMAFZhl4JCBCaz3qooDZkB/HACgs4f0
pQlc7hshgoZcyH5k58qA0gQ=
=UZkW

Prev: Re: The Tonk Project Next: Re: FT-Fighters and SG-aliens