Prev: Re: [OT] Digital Cameras Next: Web and Starship

Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 06:56:56 +0200
Subject: Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

devans@uneb.edu wrote:

>>Actually there was much moralizing on the unfairness
>>of infantry standing up in front of heavy cavalry.
>>However most of it was done by armchair strategists
>>(hmmm. . . do we see a theme?). The actual soldiers
>>were out buying wheellock pistols to shoot pikemen
>>with.
>
>Um... considering that the edict against crossbows was issued some
four
>centuries before the wheellock pistols were even invented, I kinda
>doubt that last statement <g>
>***
>
>Fair's fair, Oerjan. I believe John meant it as 'The actual soldiers
were
>out buying wheellock pistols' RATHER THAN moralizing on the unfairness
>of infantry standing up in front of heavy cavalry, not rather than
using
>crossbows.

Which means that for some four centuries, there weren't any "actual
soldiers"... there was quite a bit of moralizing on this subject during
the 12th to 15th centuries, and no wheellock pistols available for
purchase <g>

Sorry, Beast; I still doubt it...

>Now, will John see this before he goes off? I don't think so. ;->=

<chuckle>

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: [OT] Digital Cameras Next: Web and Starship