Prev: RE: Orders of Battle (was cheese) Next: Re: FT-Fighters and SG-aliens

Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 18:57:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

--- Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com> wrote:

> He did? He seem to have used them at Hastings,
> though - they're not
> shown on the Tapestry, but William of Poitiers
> recorded the use of
> crossbows in that battle in his chronicle.

Eh?  I was under the impression the vast majority of
his archers were using self bows.  How many crossbows
does WoP say were there?

> Um... considering that the edict against crossbows
> was issued some four
> centuries before the wheellock pistols were even
> invented, I kinda
> doubt that last statement <g>

Pikemen, pikemen.  Knights evolved into armored
pistoleers during the 16th century.  Pikemen are what
ended the era of the heavily armed lancer, not the
crossbow.  By your account crossbows were in general
use by the 11th century.  Knights were in widespread
use until the French Wars of Religion.	The response
to crossbowmen was to simply ride them down.  There is
not enough time to get off more than a few volleys.
In fact, I don't know of a single time when missle
troops held off heavy cavalrymen unassisted until the
invention of the socket bayonet.  Even at Crecy and
Agincourt, the English had both tactical obstacles and
dismounted men-at-arms to hold off the French.

John

Prev: RE: Orders of Battle (was cheese) Next: Re: FT-Fighters and SG-aliens