Prev: Re: [OT] CrossbowRe: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense Next: Re: Gear Krieg

RE: Orders of Battle (was cheese)

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 11:28:08 +1000
Subject: RE: Orders of Battle (was cheese)

G'day Chris,

 >I did a "compare and contrast" between
 >the organization of a Roman Legion
 >and a 1980's US Light Infantry Division.
 >The US division has more "artillery"
 >and 3 times as much "cavalry/recon"
 >but there are some similarities. Most of the
 >differences where troops doing jobs that
 >didn't exist 2000 years ago (EW,
 >Chemical Defense ...)

What about at the lowest scales though. Its been a long time since I did

any Roman history, but weren't they based around units of multiples of
10
or something? I haven't had a chance to look up my Achaemenid Persian
stuff
but I had a feeling they broke the "laws" of modern warfare too. OK
maybe
modern gizmos produce the ratios we see in use today, or maybe its just
the
way things are done now. For instance things were very different back in

the Napoleonic period.

Just another thought

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

Prev: Re: [OT] CrossbowRe: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense Next: Re: Gear Krieg