Prev: Re: Close Assaullt Next: Re: 54mm FMASk, is slightly OT

Re: [OT] Digital Cameras

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <s_schoon@p...>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 15:54:18 -0700
Subject: Re: [OT] Digital Cameras

>Because this is completely off-topic, please just respond to me and not
>the entire list. If anyone else is interested, I will summarize the

Hi Rick,

As MANY on the list are probably interested in taking pictures of
their ships (or at Cons, etc.), I don't think that it's OT at all.

And as I've just done some research and purchased a digital camera
myself (it should arrive tomorrow or Friday :-))

Things that I looked at:
1) Cost - how much are you willing to spend compared to how much
non-hobby use it'll get.
http://shopper.cnet.com/ is a good source of comparison pricing once
you've got a general idea what you want.

2) Minimum focal length / Macro mode. This is really important if
you're planning to take close up pics of minis. The closer you can
get (generally) the better.

3) Optical / Digital Zoom. Optical is better than Digital for
clarity, but most cameras these days have a combination of both,
either 2X/3X or vice versa.

4) Size. If it's a pain in the <you know> to carry the thing around
at a Con, you won't. You'll leave it in the room/car, and no pictures
will get taken.

5) Pixels. Anywhere from 1 to 3+ MP these days. What you need is
dependent on what you're going to use it for. For web-based stuff 1
MP will suffice, but for printing them out as pictures, you'll want
at least 2 MP.

Prev: Re: Close Assaullt Next: Re: 54mm FMASk, is slightly OT