Prev: Re: Fighters, missiles in FT Next: FT:AFSML`s (for D Griffin)

Re: Fighters, missiles in FT

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:14:47 +0200
Subject: Re: Fighters, missiles in FT

David Griffin wrote:

>Can I just ask a stupid question? What's a Banzai Jammer?

In FT, it refers to a small ship flying close to bigger ships in order
to decoy Salvo Missiles away from the real target. It is extremely
annoying to see 4+ SM salvoes hit the same TMF 8 scout instead of
attacking the TMF 220 SDN next to it... (TMF 8 is of course a very
large BJ; purpose-built BJs tend to be TMF 2-4 instead.)

Originally I believe it is USN slang for escort ships (usually
frigates) which use EW to actively entice incoming missiles to hit them
instead of the carrier they're escorting :-/

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: Fighters, missiles in FT Next: FT:AFSML`s (for D Griffin)