Prev: [OT] FTSR Submissions 2001 Next: RE: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

Re: [OT] CrossbowRe: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 10:27:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [OT] CrossbowRe: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

--- devans@uneb.edu wrote:

> I can't think of a way of draggin' this back on
> topic, but I was reminded
> of somewhat later invention, an auto-crossbow.
> Apparently, the user, a
> relatively untrained serf or the like, was expected
> to hold the trigger for
> 3 or 5 shots at oncoming troops, then drop the
> dingus and run. Does anyone
> know of it?

Grosse Gott!  This "dingus" as you call it has become
quite the legend among fantasy roleplayers who think
it's the medieval equivelant of the SMG.  It's a
lever-actuated crossbow (very light--otherwise you
couldn't operate it) with a box of about a half-dozen
bolts on top.  It's existence is based on less than a
dozen illustrations in Chinese texts.  They've built a
couple of "reconstructions" but I've never seen one in
action.  They are supposed to be unwieldy, poorly
balanced, and impossible to aim due to a big box
sitting on top where you've be sighting over.

John

Prev: [OT] FTSR Submissions 2001 Next: RE: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense