Prev: Re: [SG] Leader Loss Questions Next: Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

Re: [SG] Leader Loss Questions

From: agoodall@c...
Date: 4 Apr 2001 08:37:21 -0700
Subject: Re: [SG] Leader Loss Questions

On Wed, 04 April 2001, "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" wrote:

> If a Squad Leader is lost, does command of the squad usually fall to
the
> other Fire Team Leader? Or is the 1st and 2nd most senior soldiers in
the
> same team?

I've been playing around with fire team rules of my own (I'm still not
convinced, though, that SG2 should model fire teams...) I have a squad
leader as a member of a fireteam, but he is an independent leader
figure. He can activate only the two fireteams. He does this with a
transfer action. But in essence, it's the same situation you have
created.

If the squad leader is wounded, the fire team gets a new fire team
leader as per the usual rules for replacing a "squad" leader. Then,
which ever fire team leader ends up with the higher leader value becomes
the squad leader. In the case of a tie, the squad leader is in the
fireteam that just had the squad leader as a casualty.

> In the same way if the Platoon Leader buys it, would one of the squad
> leaders take over, or do they usually group the most senior soldiers
in the
> command Squad (or Command Team)?

Usually, if a platoon leader buys it, I just create a new platoon
leader, using the standard replacement rules, from within the platoon
leader squad. If this squad is totally wiped out, the platoon does not
have that level of command. I would probably allow a reorganization
action to split off a squad leader from another squad in order to form a
new platoon squad. Or I'd allow a reorganization action for one of the
other squads to become the new command squad. In your case, I'd let a
fireteam do this.

You could force the highest quality, highest leadership value squad be
that new command squad, if you prefer.

> Going beyond my example, I will ask the same question about the loss
of a
> Company Commander.

I would say the same thing: company commander is wounded, next guy in
the squad takes over. If the entire company command squad is lost, let a
platoon squad take over with a reorganize action, but that would leave a
"hole" where a platoon squad should be.

> Related question: If a Platoon Leader is lost does the entire platoon
have
> to spend an action for reorganization or just the Command Squad (or
> something in-between)?

Just the platoon command squad. Losing the ability to activate another
squad, and taking the automatic suppression for losing a "squad" leader,
as well as the suppression marker they would get from taking casualties,
is enough of a penalty.

Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com

Prev: Re: [SG] Leader Loss Questions Next: Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense