Prev: Re: Light infantry versus light infantry Next: Re: Cheese factor

Re: Kh'iff

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 17:19:39 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: Kh'iff

Things got rather confused around here due to @home messing up - I could
not get to the email that was already on my home machine due to a
network
faillure, and could only read/reply to new emails. I don't _think_ I
replied to this one yet, but may be going seriously demented ;)

<Pine.LNX.3.96.1010404003206.12187A-100000@derk.penguinpowered.com>,
>  Derk Groeneveld writes:
> >
> > > I'll stick to the game mechanics here-- they're a doglike people.
You
> > > can build whatever background up around that.
> >
> > Yup :) Just some fluff, is all.
>
> Fluff is good.  Speaking of fluff, what about their elite caste, the
> Poo'dl Kh'iff?  ;)

Grrrr. ;)

> > > Seems like dogs have better vision than us.  Perhaps give them a
bonus
> > > to hit, maybe only if the target unit moved this turn?
> >
> > I'm a bit wary to directly touch the main combat mechanism; I'm not
> > entirely sure how big the impact will be. Another thought I had was
giving
> > them slightly longer range bands?
>
> That seems about the same-- a quality die shift up is the same as
> extending the range bands by 2".  Give them a quality die shift up
> when firing at a unit that has already activated this turn and used an
> action to move.

Ah; I thought you meant a bonus on both quality die and firepower die.
Also, that would mean they'd never roll a 1 again, greatly reducing the
chances of a miss at close range. etc etc. Anyway, that apparantly
wasn't
what you meant.

> > > Well, the first thing is that DOGS SMELL FEAR!  If they're within
> > > charge distance of an enemy squad that is Shaken or worse, they
have
> > > to pass a reaction test (+0, Shaken; +1 Broken; +3 Routed) at the
> > > start of their turn OTW they MUST CC that unit.
> >
> > Ooo! I _like_ the concept. OTOH< I didn't want to make them into
cliche
> > 'they're alien therefore close assault monsters' ;)
>
> I didn't say they were any better at it. ;)
>
> Of course, any time their opponents feint in one direction, all Kh'iff
> squads in line of site immediately run in that direction, and must
> sacrifice d4 turns looking for opponents threw.

Mmmm. I'm not entirely sure I want to go with this one. I guess this
calls
for some serious playtesting.

Cheers,

  Derk
Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine

iD8DBQE6yzuQJXH58oo6ncURAv39AJ4n/L1/dQCc41khOcB8r/aO6W3GdACeISXE
XjazuCfGGsQD50Zht4wzTeo=
=RCdg

Prev: Re: Light infantry versus light infantry Next: Re: Cheese factor